Favorite Lure

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
What's your favorite lure? Post a pic of it if you can. Why is it your favorite? What do you catch with it? If your favorite lure is a live bait, say that too.

Mine is this red and white daredevil spoon. I think it's my favorite because it takes me back to my childhood, and fishing for trout in Washington. I can still catch bass on it here in TN.

HFP-016.JPG

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Favorite Lure

As my short name implies, Spinner Baits is my lure of choice.
Next is a P61 Pop-R, blue gil color.
I can catch fish on it when nothing else is biting.
I do use the dare devil for trout though.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Most of the time I fish with lures that are pretty specific to the waters and species I am fishing.

If I had to choose one lure for everything it would probably be a spoon (Daredevl or Krocodile). . .or a jig. . .or an inline spinner like the Mepps.

FLATHEAD

Commander

Favorite would have to be a soft jig. Over the past few years I have gotten away from the hard jigs. I like to fish for smallmouth and largemouth bass in lakes rivers and streams, mostly lakes. The soft jig will get me bit in just about any kind of water and any conditions. They are deadly on deep structure for pig smallies. This one is my favorite. It is a 4 inch "Rigged Smallie Crawlie" in roadkill camo color. Made by Winco custom baits. It has the 1/4 ounce football hook poured right into the bait, these things are sweet.

arlington.jpg

Zero Balance

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tots & wiggle O's seem to be my bread & butter baits. I also run mepps spinners at tmes.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Rooster Tail............My first choice
Jitterbug................My Second
Pop-R....................My Third (in both of them colors)

Trollingmotor015.jpg

I'll be fishing with a Jitterbug or other top water lure and not get a bite, then I throw a Rooster Tail on and catch one.

rndn

Commander

Senco worms rigged wacky style. I never fail to catch bass.

mudmagnet63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rooster Tail ( Hot Pink ) I bought it for my daughter when she was 4 I put it on her pole Within 1 hour she had pulled in about 15 Largemouth the biggest was about 3# I still use it when nothing else works, I'll always get a bite. Just thinkin about that day makes me :D

catcatcher

Seaman Apprentice

I have different favorite baits for different fish.
large and smallmouth bass= Zoom trick worm
crappie= rosie red minnows
carp= oatmeal
stripers= live blueback herring
blue catfish= fresh cut gizzard shad
flathead catfish= any live gamefish
channel catfish= fresh threadfin shad
bream= crickets

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

What's your recipe on the oatmeal for carp?

We have a lot of carp here that I wouldn't mind fertilizing my garden with... :D

woodduck17

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The old style Bomber Mini Whacker--Yellow or white. The type where the skirt slips on and doesn't need the rubber band. Only have a couple of them left--I'll miss them when they are gone. Have caught everything with them---Largemouth, smallmouth, walleye,bluegill,racoon perch---Man,what a lure....

pman7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What's your recipe on the oatmeal for carp?

We have a lot of carp here that I wouldn't mind fertilizing my garden with... :D

Best carp bait I've found is open a can of corn (Green Giant Niblets works fine but so do cheaper brands). Throw out several handfuls. Bait up each hook with about 3 to 4 grains and cast multiple poles out to the outer edge of where the corn landed.

If possible throw out the contents of a can of corn the day before you fish.

My favorite lure is also a rooster tail although I have probably caught the most fish on the old, original silver/black backed rapala.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Best carp bait I've found is open a can of corn (Green Giant Niblets works fine but so do cheaper brands). Throw out several handfuls. Bait up each hook with about 3 to 4 grains and cast multiple poles out to the outer edge of where the corn landed.

If possible throw out the contents of a can of corn the day before you fish.

That's a good idea. I hadn't thought about that, but I'll be sure to pack a can of corn this year, just in case they are on the bite. They sure are fun to fight, and they make great fertilizer for the garden as long as you bury them deep enough. Plus, they are a non-native pest species, so I never feel badly about wiping out as many as I can.

EMM

Seaman Apprentice

I like a bandit footloose crankbait in baby bass for largemouth bass and shiners for bream and sac au lait (crappie).

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

shiners for bream

shiners for bream? I didn't know they'd hit shiners. How well do you do on them?

We usually use crickets or worms for them.

EMM

Seaman Apprentice

We do prety good with shiners. We have big bull bream that can take shiners, however I normaly don't try to catch them I pick up a few when I am sac au lait fishing.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Ah, we usually go for bream (bluegill we call them) because they are such good eating.

Marinaded in a brine solution, then deep fried in Crisco and breaded in cornmeal, with a big thick slice of a big fresh homegrown german heirloom tomato, and a salad with cucumbers and carrots both fresh from the garden on the side. Man, that's living!

gonefishie

Commander

These in 100, 200, and 300 series depends on depth requirement.

bandit100splatterback.jpg

bandit100rootbeer.jpg

and these in green pumpkin color.

babybrushhog.jpg

Muskie - Daredevil spoons 4-6" - deadly!
Bass - ChatterBait or black Hula Popper
Crappie or any fish that size or smaller - Rocket Shad spinner bait - charteuse - any Walmart
Catfish - shrimp w/anise - big hooks and several pcs.
Walleye - Reef Runners - Stinger Spoons - Worm Harness w/Gulp floating worm
Smallmouth - Goby colored Tubes - Swimming Jig
Steelhead - Fresh Spawn Sacs, Lil Cleo's
Perch - Minnows
The one lure I have caught the most fish with and almost every single species and use everytime I go out! - 3" White Swimming Jig.