Using a live well

FLATHEAD

Commander
Re: Using a live well

One thing to think about for you guys trying to keep fish alive so they are fresh to eat is the bait you are using. If you are using live bait chances are you are hooking the fish deep/in the gut. If you must use live bait try a circle hook. They tend to help the fish get hooked in the jaw. If the fish is bleeding (like someone stated) of course the fish is going to die, same as a fish that has half his gut ripped to retrieve a hook. No amount of cool water or recirculated water will help. Also if you mess with the gills while handling a fish is always bad if you want to keep it alive.

If I wanted to keep fish to eat I would fillet them immediately when caught and put them on ice.

I see so many folks catch fish , keep them, bring them in and show them off and then they simply get trashed because in the mean time they got a little on the ripe side. What a waste. Strictly Catch and release guy here, but have no problems with those looking for a good fish fry, but you have to use common sense when handling the fish.

heycods

Captain

One thing to think about for you guys trying to keep fish alive so they are fresh to eat is the bait you are using. If you are using live bait chances are you are hooking the fish deep/in the gut. If you must use live bait try a circle hook. They tend to help the fish get hooked in the jaw. If the fish is bleeding (like someone stated) of course the fish is going to die, same as a fish that has half his gut ripped to retrieve a hook. No amount of cool water or recirculated water will help. Also if you mess with the gills while handling a fish is always bad if you want to keep it alive.

If I wanted to keep fish to eat I would fillet them immediately when caught and put them on ice.

I see so many folks catch fish , keep them, bring them in and show them off and then they simply get trashed because in the mean time they got a little on the ripe side. What a waste. Strictly Catch and release guy here, but have no problems with those looking for a good fish fry, but you have to use common sense when handling the fish.

Illegal here in Tx. to clean your fish while you are on the lake. Dont clean them till you are on the bank!

Doug158

Cadet

I fish in a couple of Catfishing Tourneys around here and I have a large 196qt walmart cooler we got on sale a couple of years ago 28 bucks a 500gph bilge pump also walmart 15 bucks a spray nozzle from the same area as the bilge pump a couple pvc fitting aTee and 2 cut off valves plus a couple of threaded hose barbs and some 5/8 hose. I took out the drain plug and the bilge pump slides right in I put a screen on the end then I drilled a 3/4 hole at the top just right of the handle slide a piece of pvc pipe thru and glue a threaded coupling on both sides use a little foam to seal the pipe in place mount the sprayhead on the inside and a elbow on the outside with a threaded hose barb on the outside I use hose to connect the pump to the Tee on the top of the tee I mount a simple pvc valve and on the tee middle another pvc valve sounds like a lot but it really isn't with this setup I hook it to a spare Batt with alligator clamps and it will run for 8 to 10 hrs with no problem after you fill the cooler with water [I have a pump but I have also used a 5 gal bucket] hook the pump to the batt it will cycle water up to the spray head and create a current and put oxygen in to the water after a couple of hours disconnect the pump close the top valve and open the side valve turn the pump on shoot the water over the side switch the valves back and refill the cooler start it back up I have keep 5 large cats alive in this setup for hours took them in for the weigh in and released them as frisky as when I caught them and this whole setup can be built for around 50 dollars not counting the Batt and when you dont need a livewell can still be used as a cooler :):):cool: