• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a live well

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a live well

I have never had a boat that had, nor have I even been on a boat that had a live well. I don't know anyone who does, so tell me please how to use one. Do you run it all the time there is fish in there or just periodically to give them a little fresh "air" now and again or what? Then again, maybe it is just supposed to be for live bait????
    What's the proper way to use this?

p.s. stay tuned; the boat has a trolling motor and I have never used one of those either...ha ha
    Last edited by cpowell; July 3rd, 2007, 09:35 PM. Reason: addition of thought

Re: Using a live well

They need fresh water every once in a while, and the old water taken out - run the fill pump a while. When the weather warms up, and/or the livewell gets crowded, the water needs refreshing more often. Hate it when fish die in the livewell - I won't clean a fish that died from any cause other than filletitization - unless they were on ice first - they just don't taste right.
    It's all about the tools.

"If the ocean is glass flat and the sun is shining, you open up the special memory compartment of your brain and start recording the smells, sounds, sights and feelings." -- Philster

"Poets talk about 'spots of time,' but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a b**** forever." -- N. Maclean

Comment

I keep a couple of one liter frozen bottles of ice with me in my cooler. If I'm out for a while and it's hot I place one of the bottles in the live well to keep the temp down and replace it with the other one after an hour or two. It helps the fish live longer with less oxygen and I think keeps the meat fresher for eating.
      1996 Crestliner 2160 Phantom, 1996 Evinrude 130 HP
      sigpic

Comment

When fishing in cold water I have an automatic position on my livewell that I leave on, unless motoring to another area. In warm weather I do like cpowell and add frozen bottles. Most often I just bring a cooler of ice for the fish.

Comment

I just turn my timer/s on and not worry about it.

"JUST KEEP ON, KEEPING ON"
          "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. The well seems to work really well and so far I have remembered to get the fish out at the end of each day....ha ha
            I worry about running the battery down and having to try to hand crank the motor so I think I will just give them a fresh drink now and again. Particularly when putting a new fish in.
            It's been raining here near Houston for a couple of weeks but in between showers the fishing has been great for us!!!

Comment

with any luck, we'll start releasing some water down your way, so maybe we can get our boats in the water..........
              It's all about the tools.

"If the ocean is glass flat and the sun is shining, you open up the special memory compartment of your brain and start recording the smells, sounds, sights and feelings." -- Philster

"Poets talk about 'spots of time,' but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a b**** forever." -- N. Maclean

Comment

Um, thanks but I think we have all we need right now. Wait till about August or September. That's when we will really need it.
                Last week in Houston we got 6 inches of rain in a little over an hour, so they said.
                It has been raining for the last three weeks almost daily. It's really been a bummer. I am sure that all this fresh water has also messed up the saltwater bay fishing too. I'm going to try that later this summer though.

Comment

front live well is filled with ice for the beer fish and tha back livewell is filled with ice for the beer batter for the fish lol YA MIGHT BE A READ NECK IF YA THINK THOSE LIVEWELLS WERE ACTUALLY MADE FOR FISH. drink responsibly.

Comment

LOL!!! That was halarious Licket!!!
                    ***FISH ON***

Comment

That's much better usage than just lousy fish.
                      1996 Crestliner 2160 Phantom, 1996 Evinrude 130 HP
                      sigpic

Comment

I should have thought of that! Yes, much better usage of the space!
                        Thanks for the laugh!

Comment

When we fish in Ontario we found the fish stayed alive on the stringer longer than they did in the livewell. Kind of a bummer putting them in and out every time we moved though. Minnows stayed alive real good in the well though. As for the beer in the well, they don't let us do that in Iowa anymore. No beer in the boat period. Some irisponsible drinkers messed it up for all of us. I guess you could troll a sixpack on a downrigger? ........Fish on................Jerry

Comment

Interesting...because when I take fish off the line they seem strong and lively. Shortly afterward the go belly up though. Not all but a lot. I may try using the stringer myself to see if there is a difference.

Comment

I like a floating fish basket for anything 16" and under. It keeps them fresh and swimming. I have had problems with snapping turtles getting after my stringer.

I have had good luck with livewells, but have not really used any in hot weather. I would assume in hot weather, you may pull in warmer water with less oxygen. The ice bottles sound like a good idea.

I have taken fish out of my basket at the dock that I don't have time to fillet and have put them in a bucket and poured a bag of ice over them. Not ideal, but when you have people waiting on you and the water is too hot or shallow for the fish basket by the dock, it works

Comment

Working...
                              X