Aluminum Bass Boat, or Fiberglass?

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class
This one is for the fisherman JB, don't move it to boats.

I'm thinking of getting a newer boat, and something more bass fishing oriented than my current deep V. All of the guys I fish tournaments with, except for one, all have 19 to 21 fiberglass bass boats. One guy I've fished with has a 17 mod V and he says he likes it. I'm thinking about picking up a 17 or 18 foot mod V boat, new with 70 to 90 hp. All of the fiberglass boat guys are warning me off, saying I'll be sorry later when I'll wish I had bought more boat. I can't really afford more boat right now, and I want to buy new. The minuses to the aluminum boat are storage space, ride and stability. If I buy the thing and discover it's limited to just very calm water, I will be sorry. I haven't had much experience fishing off of one of these things so it's hard to gauge. Do any of you guys have any fishing time in one these little mod V’s?

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Aluminum Bass Boat, or Fiberglass?

I have a 1987 Aluminum 17.6' bass boat that I love. Some of my friends have fiber glass fishing boats and they spend half of their time fretting about scratching it up. I would would never go back to fiber glass. I may have to slow down because of the ruff ride in choppy water but I all ways get there and back safely.

The new aluminum boats are lot better than the older ones. Make the dealer give you a test ride before you buy.

Good luck.

I have owned both. I had a 1999 21' Stratos with a 225 HP Evinrude on it. Beautiful boat, ran like a champ, but the upkeep and maintenance really start taking the fun out of it. I just purchased a 1999 Tracker Pro Team 175 with a 40 HP. So far I love it. I don't feel guilty running it up in the bushes and logs to get to where the fish are at. I don't have to worry about protecting the gel coat. I really like the aluminum boat so far and I don't ever see myself going back to fiberglass unless I get a bay boat for rougher water.
As for the length, yes the 17.5' aluminum boat rocks significantly more than the 21' fiberglass boat did. I probably would never fish more than 2 people at one time from the boat either. BUT, I can fit the 17.5' boat in my garage now. It is a good length for me.
Just my .02!!!! I am sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose. Good fishing.....

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have found that fishing with two people in a 17.5' boat is better. But we have fished with four and made out ok.

Ron G

Commander

I have fished out of both for years,i own a 19 foot fiberglass that i got used,i'll take it anywere because its my fishing boatd:)with that being said a lot of it depeands on how and were you fish,i fish alot of bigger resivoirs and river systems,i wouldnt want to be out on the river when its rough in a smaller boat been there done that and want do it again.but if your fishing smaller water and real shallow then an smaller boat its a good choice.and dont forget about comfort when you speand all day on a boat or even all week comfort comes into the equation.i perfer fiberglass in the 18' range ther pretty afortable and do good on gas and you can fish big water or skinny and be comfortable and safe.and you can a good used boat really cheap.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Take a look at xpress boats for a nice aluminum design and all aluminum. I would say the only downside would be the hull design flattening towards the back which leades to a rougher ride. IMO I would also get a larger (higher power) trolling motor with that design because they are mor prone to being blown around in wind situations.

I am happy with my Fisher 18' but WOULD NOT but a new one. They were absorbed, taken over, bought out... by tracker marine and now they are using wood in the manufacture (cheap plywood).

I was actually shopping for a xpress boat and came across my fisher. I had a ranger years ago that was fiberglass and much faster and handled better but much heavier.

gonefishie

Commander

For tournament fishing and if you're planning on hitting it seriously, fiberglass is the only way to go. If you really want aluminum, get a jetboat. Talk about all the skinny water that you can get to. You'll be able to fish section of lake or river that fish never see a lure before. Although, lots of the bigger circuits have banned jetboat in competition.

LubeDude

Admiral

koolerb said:
The minuses to the aluminum boat are storage space, ride and stability.

That just about sums it all up, I mean, what are the things you look for in a boat anyway?

For the money you pay for a new aluminum boat, you can buy one H*ll of a nice used glass boat. If fishing is your primary concern, buy a single console boat, much better rod box and storage. I have fished in both, and I can tell you that I would never have an aluminum boat on a bet! I never buy new anyway. Different boats for different folks!

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

You guys all made good points. It is going to be primarily for tournament fishing. Most of the guys with shiny new fiberglass boat are very, very, very careful with them. They don't want to get into any questionable water. A few times when I've pointed out bassy looking spots as a co-angler, the reply has been "looks good, but I'm not taking my boat in there." I'm not scared of much in my aluminum deep V. I'll take it right into the skinny stuff, stumps, rocks, whatever. But, a day fishing on a new 20 ft Ranger/Stratos/Skeeter is awesome. You can't help but come away loving the boat. The storage compartments are huge, the decks are huge, the cool factor is an 11. One of the guys I’ve seen at few tournaments is selling a 10-year-old Pro Craft with a 150 horse Merc. But the thought of buying a ten-year-old six cylinder Merc is a little intimidating. If that motor crapped I could drop 5 grand in a heat beat on that thing. The intimidating part of the used boat purchase for me is the motor.

LubeDude

Admiral

I think that any outboard mechanic will tell you, that if an outboard grenades it`s nine times out of ten lack of maintenence. That can be right down to replacing fuel lines every few years. What you don`t want to happen is a lean condition for any reason.

I know what you mean though, if my engine blew, I would be in a deep world of SH*T!!!!! However, you will run out of warrentee before the boat payment stops most likely.

Ron G

Commander

I just seen a 98 bumblee bee 180 pro vee like mine with a 150 for 10,000 and last week a 2001 stroker with a 225 sold for 16,000 theres good deals out there.the stroker went like wild fired:)

heycods

Captain

I love the aluminum for the stumpy lakes I fish. Watch out for the aluminum boats with the wooden decking and transom. The Sea Ark I had, had no wood. I wish I had that boat back:'( I hate my glass boat.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

"But, a day fishing on a new 20 ft Ranger/Stratos/Skeeter is awesome. You can't help but come away loving the boat. "

-'less you're the guy paying the note on it in January when it's covered in 4 feet of snow.:%:'(

Although I'd love a Champion (new or used I'll take either one) I have to agree with Bob on the Xpress. They have excellent deck layout and ride for aluminum and are one of the few aluminum models which can effectively run on the pad. A 225 will buy you over 70mph and they have surprisingly good fit and finish (nice paint, smooth welds etc) I'd go with a used 18-19 footer with a 150. Let some other poor sap take that first hit from the dealer. imho.

-If you're not willing to take it where it was designed to go and do with it what it was designed to do... find something else. It's out there.

spots

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its a whole lot older than I'm looking for, but I'd like to buy my neighbors Fisher SG 180GT for a couple thousand. He's got a Mariner 115 on the transom. It looks like it's laid out kind of like a fiberglass bass boat, but I've never seen it close up. The only comparable newer boat I see out there is the Tracker Tournament V18. But I’ve seen a bunch of negative post on various web sites about the TV18. Poor hull construction quality and poor warranty support. Kind of weird, I don't think I've seen anything negative about any of their mod V's, but a bunch of negative stuff on that TV18. I would assume they come out of the same factory?

Bob_VT

Staff member

Well, my SV 180GT Fisher has the 115 Mariner (Old tower of power I-6) and I am very pleased with it. I know I will never beat the other people in a race since mine tops outs fully loaded at about 43-44 but...... it's paid for, comfortable and real easy to tow with my 4 cylinder tacoma.

No wood - I have fixed a few rivets and applied some gluvit and just regular maintenance.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Did it come complete? With a nice cold 6 pack in that cooler? Looks good.

:)

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wholly Crap! I think you need a few more accessories.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is that, 17ft?

heycods

Captain

17' sea ark. I had traded it in on a pontoon, but I missed it so bad, :'(I went back for it.8)