Chumming

MRS

Commander
I grind up anchovies and mackral and add fish oil for chum but I would like to try the chum pellets.Do any of you use them and witch ones my why is alot of work and can get real messey but it does work. I mainly fish for stripers Thanks for any advise on this. :)

heycods

Captain
Re: Chumming

I chum catfish with 20% range cubes, crappie with soured milo or wheat, dont know about stripers, Ill watch this thread to learn.

MRS

Commander

heycods I will have to try that for crappie. I just ordered some chum freez dried stuff with soy fishoil crawdads and shad in it and a quart of menhaden oil. You cannot chum in California fresh water but in Arizona you can so hopefull I will be able to test in Havasu April 1st. weekend will update then. Do you fish for the whitebass there I have been wanting to take a trip to Texas just for the whites there.

heycods

Captain

This time of year the whites and crappie are simular, feeding on your milo wheat chum. I dont paticularly care for the whites as I like crappie fillets :D thats as good as it gets to me.

I use fish meal and mix 50/50 with clay purchased at the local feed and seed, and use water and 1gal of menhaden. This mixes <br />1 50lb fish meal<br />1 50lb clay<br />1 gal oil<br />finish with enough water so mix can be shaped into patties that are like stiff dough.<br />I use this in fesh and salt water. Use a pc of 6 to 8" pipe cut 1" thick as a mold and make patties and then freeze.take out as many as you want when you go fishing.<br />I have found this works good for shrimp and fish.

MRS

Commander

Michael what do you use to put the patties in sounds like a good mix. I use a 4in. wide 10in. long pvc with 3/8 holes. How long does it last in the water?

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

For you white bass guys out there,I fish at Lake Pleasant here in Arizona,we catch them by the boat load in the fall,along with 2 lb. stripers on swim baits.We chum with 1 bag of Gulp catfish nuggets at dark,throw out the green flouresant light,wait about half an hour then go at it.

CATransplant

Admiral

Check your state laws. When I lived in California, just four years ago, chumming was illegal in fresh water. It's illegal in fresh water here in Minnesota, too, although it's not specifically referred to in the DNR regulations. Chumming falls into the category of putting foreign matter into the waters.

I know that lots of people do it, but, if it's illegal in your jurisdiction, it could be costly if the DNR or Fish and Wildlife folks catch you.

CATransplant

Admiral

Here's the CA law:

From the CA DFG Booklets online:

Freshwater

2.40. Chumming.
Chumming is permitted only in:
(a) The Colorado River District, but only the approved bait fishes for this District may be used as chum (see Section 4.15) except in the Salton Sea where corn may also be used.
(b) Carquinez Strait and Suisun Bay and their tributaries and saltwater tributaries.
(c) Sacramento River and tidewater of tributaries downstream from Interstate 80 bridge.
(d) San Joaquin River and tidewater of tributaries downstream from Interstate 5 bridge.

Saltwater:
27.05. Chumming.
Chumming, including chumming with live bait, is permitted.