Tackle Box Organization Ideas

Kramer

Seaman Apprentice
I thought I would post my latest tackle box organizing idea. I’m sure I’m not the first one to have thought of this but figured I’d share it anyway. Up here in NY this is the time of year all these home insulation products hit the seasonal sections of the home improvement stores. Since it is also the time of year I have started to miss summer fishing, of course I’m out buying more gear and tackle, playing with my tackle box and trying to figure out how to fit more in my already overstuffed box!<br /><br />I went to the local home improvement store and bought some of those pipe insulators, the gray foam like pieces that are 6’ to 7’ in length, are round and are made to be put around pipes to keep the pipe from losing heat. They cost about .80 to $1.29 each depending on the size. Don’t know exactly what the material is, its a bit denser than styrofoam and, most importantly, holds a hook well without pieces of it coming off like styrofoam or cork.<br /><br />I had used the insulation pieces in the past to keep english hooks on leaders from tangling in my tackle box. I never liked the things they sell in the stores that you have to wrap the line around; the line tends to hold the form and then gets tangled too easy. I would cut off a piece of the pipe insulation and put the english hook in one end and then use a big staple to hold the line into the insulation on the other end. I also use this method to keep 3-hook worm harnesses straight.<br /><br />My latest idea was to take the same insulation piece, cut a piece to fit one of the trays in my tackle box (usually one of the larger trays on the top level of the box). Then I cut the insulation in half, fit it into the tray and just hook the pieces of tackle (or hooks) into it. This has worked great for loose hooks, small jigs and those mepps spinners (size 00, 0 and up) so that they don’t get all tangled up in the tray of the box. It also makes it easier to get at the one I want.<br /><br />I love this stuff and keep finding more ways to use it. I have even thought of a spot on my boat were I could put pieces of this insulation and hook lures into it for easy access.<br /><br />If anyone else has ways they have use this stuff, or other tackle box ideas, I’m interested in hearing about it. <br /><br />Giddyup!!---<br /><br />Kramer

RICKRICK1

Ensign
Re: Tackle Box Organization Ideas

Kramer-- sounds great--a good idea. :D <br /><br />Better idea --dump all your tackle in a cardboard box, wash and claen your tackle box, send all the stuff in the box to me and your tackle box will never need to be organized again. HAHA :p

Link

Rear Admiral
Re: Tackle Box Organization Ideas

Good idea Kramer<br />I also like the stuff. I cut a 18 inch strip and put it on the hand rails where we each sit while fishing and it keeps the hooks etc off the floor and handy<br /><br />Link