outrigger questions

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will install a pair of 15 ft, telescopic, on the gunwale, outriggers for my 22 ft open center console. I have no t-top or arch, so only place is on the gunwale. I'm a trolling newbie, so I have some questions:<br />- should I use 2 lanyards on each outrigger?<br />- are telescopic outriggers good quality? (seachoice has a $150 complete set.... is this a good entry alternative?)<br />- what is the normal trolling speed?<br /><br />Advice is welcome! Thanks

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: outrigger questions

...I hope someone will see this question...<br /><br />I forgot to mention that I will be trolling around 20 miles norht of Borracha island, Puerto La Cruz. Target: dorado and any other thing :)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Ok.. I'll give it a go here..<br /><br />I too am going with telescopic outriggers, but mounting on my t-top... I'm opting for Taco brand... <br /><br />By the term "lanyard" do you mean the bungee cord with pully (snubber) that is connected to the gunnel just aft of the outrigger pole... If so, single is fine.. Just position it right... <br /><br />Trolling speed depends on the species your after, and the bait your using... Could be anywhere from 1mph to 15mph or more... Some of the lure manufacturers put speed recomendations on the package.. Dorado, mahi-mahi, trolling a skirted ballyhoo, 5mph is a good start... Ya gotta play with speeds to see what the fish like...<br /><br />Good luck..

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh, thanks. <br />Well for lanyard I refer to the main outrigger line, not the small bungee that acts as a shock absorber... I was thinking in trolling 2 lures with each outrigger using 2 rods on each side of the boat....thus the need for 2 lanyards...each one will hold a release clip...

record hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I,ve used my windsurfing poles for 5 years now work good. I have seen the telescopic poles but would probably buy them .Alot of guys here in Hawaii just buy a blank fiberglass rod and build our own . Youn can buy nall the way to 20 feet. I know on a big strike you might bend or break them . They might work good for youn to start out. I use 2 differant lines for two differant poles. I,m no expert though what I did was I have 1 line to the top that is for my furthest out lines then I bent a welding stainless rod and bought a wheel swivel clamped it on about 2 thirds up the pole use that for my back rods . Then I run 2 pipe reels with 150 yards of monel wire on them I catch most of my fish on the wire and my long one line. That in another 15 foot rigger I have of my top with a release clip. I use a electromate reel for that line and send it way back maybe 200 yards or more sometimes. You might have a problem with the clamp system on telescopic so what I have done bring your rigger up with forward rod stop about two thbirds up then grab your other line pull forward tie it to the cord with rubberband yopu sometimes hace to releasethe drag to pull up the lines then lock them in place with a hoop on the cord twist two times hook onto latch good luck .It will all come to you in time be patient Nothing like fishing aloha