Schooling White Bass

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ok guys and gals, what's the best artificial bait to use when the white bass are schooling on top.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Schooling White Bass

howdy SBN,<br />we have good luck with smaller mepps type spinners<br />up north here, gold seems best on a pretty quick<br />retreive.<br />good fishin'<br />M.Y.

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would try a small Rat'l Trap. I know they make some that are about 1.5 inches.<br />D

Fishbusters

Ensign

On top meaning hitting bait on the surface or on top meaning the top layer of water? If it is the first I would try the small zara spooks and topwater poppers as well as a floating rapalla in the ultra light sizes. This said my top/number one bait for white bass has to be a small 1/8 or smaller lead head with a curly tail grub. I can cast it out and let it sink to whatever depth I choose including just under the surface and reel it in and it had all the action it needs. I especially like them because I can let it sink a little to get underneath the smaller fish schooled on top and pick off the larger ones that usually hang underneath picking off the dead and dying baitfish the smaller ones miss.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys.<br /><br />PFB, I meant hitting bait fish on top of the water like stripers do.<br /><br />Blowing them plum out of the water.<br /><br />I know I use big topwater baits for stripers.<br /><br />I guess I just need to downsize for whites.

Fishbusters

Ensign

You got it SBN as well some of those panfish sized spinnerbaits especially in white will work real well.

NathanY

Commander

For white bass that are schooling on top water, the best bait I have found is a Zara Spook, in white or clear, I prefer clear. 3/8 ounce.

Pecker

Cadet

Bayou Boogies, Rattle Traps, Baby Torpedos (clear or white).<br />Rattle Traps and Boogies should be shad colored. (light grey ).<br /><br />Now, I hope you don't have a rotator cuff injury because you're going get a work out..<br /><br />Enjoy and Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

walleyehed

Admiral

Peterfishbuster and I will catch double the rest of ya' because a jighead and curlytail can be cast and ripped back at high speed covering MUCH more water, and if you think a whitebass is slow, you're nuts! A 3" white will outproduce anything out there, and the single hook makes for fast un-hooks, and return to fishing quicker!<br />All above will catch fish.....Choose your weapon! :D

fowlplay370

Recruit

Ive been catching them on 1/8 oz or 16th oz jig with 3 inch pearl mister twister swim bait. But last week I ran out of them so i switched to a 16th oz jig head with a Gulps alive shiner 4''. It has no curly or paddle tail so you have to twitch it but wow those white bass can't resist it. Thats my new favorite bait for white bass. Can't wait to use it on crappie.

fireman57

Captain

The best thing in the world is a #3 blue fox in chrome. All silver. The action of that blade at a slow retrieve looks like a crippled shad to them and they tear it up. A very distant second is a chrome rooster tail. Make sure and use a high quality swivel with both of them.

flyinsc1

Cadet

Im in louisvile and catch them using small rooster tails , mostly light colors on a ultra light spinning rod. Good Luck.

Hghvoltage

Seaman

In my area we get really good luck out of and older bait that is sometimes hard to find. A Mann's Little George in a chrome/black back or chrome/blue back ripped thru a school gets some exciting hits. white bass are just fun to fish anyway :D