Any ideas for a homemade pot puller?

mosseater

Cadet
Any ideas for a homemade pot puller?

gas or electric?? if you have im sure alot of people would like to know them..especially when they cost $500 new..at least

NOSLEEP

Commander
Re: Any ideas for a homemade pot puller?

Whats a pot puller?

gonfishn

Commander

Ain't even going there No Sleep...Didn't want to be the first to ask..

imported_Paul_H

Seaman Apprentice

I haven't seen any plans for one, but figure one could be welded up pretty easily. There is an outfit that makes a capstan that attaches to a chainsaw that would work well for lifting the potts, and if you could pick up a used chainsaw at a garage sale for ~$50, would make a decent power head.<br /><br />For those that don't know what pot pullers are, they are winches used for pulling crab and shrimp pots. Here's a link to some examples.<br /><br /> http://community.webshots.com/photo/36751360/36751453KOSgNU

mosseater

Cadet

You had to show them those pictures didnt you.. that one looks like Sanford and Son made that one. thanks for your reply though..Ill be watching this post for ever for a plan that I wont feel embarrassed to use..keepem cummin. <br /><br /> remember KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT!!!!!

kaos999

Cadet

hey guys its easy<br /><br />just get dried flowers and add some perfume

mosseater

Cadet

Do you think that a heavy duty 12v starter motor would work ??

Red Rider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NO! You can't use a 12v starter. They are not made for continuous use and will burn out quickly.<br /><br />I know of one that was made from a 12v electric wench motor, but he only pulled a few pots with it. (I think he had about $100 in it). I don't know how it would work for heavy use

mosseater

Cadet

doesnt a chainsaw motor have some kind of a clutch system in it??seems like it would slip under the load.??

imported_Paul_H

Seaman Apprentice

The chainsaw clutch only slips when the engine idles, once the rpm's are up it engages, and won't slip. It would be a good idea to have a clutch if using an i/c engine, as there will be times you'll want to stop spooling.<br /><br />I actually got to thinking about making a puller this weekend, and based on what I had laying around the shop, I'd use an old go-kart wheel as the capstan, mount it to an old axle, and gear it down to a small engine with centrifigal clutch.

mosseater

Cadet

whats the minimum size chainsaw you would use?

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey guys you can use a starter motor for continuous use if you use the right one.<br />We used to use the starter motor from a DC3 airplane to whinch cars onto the flatdeck truck and I'm talking V8's not the small family car of today!<br />It ran for three years whilst we made a few dollars. It could tow the truck backwards if the vehicle was too big!<br />If used on a boat then I'd use a few pulleys so it could double as an anchor whinch as well.........<br />Ross

Dinows

Seaman

I used to lobster about 15 years ago, had a pot puller made which has a 3 hp B+s engine, reduction gear and N----- head on it. This thing is compact and will haul a ton. Last year I took a motor rebuild class and brought the unit in and rebuilt it just for something to do, then put it back up over the garage, runs like a top. will sell it for 200 just to get rid of it. Will never use it again.

imported_Paul_H

Seaman Apprentice

Mosseater,<br /><br />I'd jump on that puller for $200, though shipping from coast to coast might add a bit.<br /><br />As far as chainsaw powerheads, I'd want a 40-50cc, and preferably a good unit like a Husqvarna or Stihl. Then again, a 3-5 hp honda, briggs or tecumsah would also do the trick, but weigh considerably more.

Dinows

Seaman

Hey Paul, Mail me at mcrombie@attbi.com i can send you a picture and get an idea what shipping would be if your interested. although small this unit will haul the bottom of the ocean up !

imported_Paul_H

Seaman Apprentice

I just came across a great idea for pulling pots, that is cheap, light, and does double duty. Those that use buoys to pull their anchors, just use the same deal to pull your pots. Clip the ring through your line, then just use the boat to pull the pot to the buoy.

mbrueck

Cadet

Make sure you're legal. Here in Florida you're not allowed to use a trap puller for recreational traps, only commercial.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

How heavy are those things and how fast do you need to pull them up?<br /><br />Just thinking that the new 12volt Minn Kota 35# anchor winch might work.