sugar trout

derwood

Chief Petty Officer
hey guys, these are the fish i've been calling sugar trout.
DSC00044.jpg
<br /> they are small fish and don't get a hole lot bigger, at least none that i've caught. i caught them down on the north span of the skyway bridge useing shrimp. it might not look like it but there are 40 fish there. it took me 2 hours to clean them all. they are soooo good. they are also just the right size for snook bait. thats if your going for big snook down near the bottom. i've never caught a snook big enough to eat one but plenty of other pepole have. useing sugar trout just like those. i'll try till i die, gotto get one sooner or later. caught lots of snook but one that big( 30+lbs) is what i live for. :cool: <br />derwood

crab bait

Captain
Re: sugar trout

pullin' 40 fish out of a cooler in your wife's livin'room... an not outside... you are the RED NECK KING.. !!

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

you know whats worse, my little kicker motor was in parts on a tarp on my alter of sacrifice. it was about 4:00am in the mornig, i spent 20 bucks more than i should have that trip, i woke my wife up to take the picture :eek: ,and then procceded(after she went back to bed) to clean the fish in the kitchen sink!!! imagen her face and language when she got up the next day and went to cook up some flapjacks and got fish scales stuck to her bare feet....you can only clean up so much at dragass o clock in the mornig. what was i thinking. it was hot tounge and cold shoulder for dinner that night. i did not take a picture of the goose egg to the back of my head i caught the next day. :eek: i'd skin fish naked in the FL. skitters before i'd do that again. hidden dragon dose not even touch on the subject, even at master monk levels. :eek: :eek: :eek: <br />derwood

Trouter74

Recruit

KEEPING 40 TROUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />DO YOU LIKE TO RAPE LAKES LIKE THAT OR SOMETHING????<br /><br />YOUR ONE OF THE WORST MEAT HOGS I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />I KEEP ONE TROUT A YEAR!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />AND YOU KEEP 40 FROM ONE OUTING........<br /><br />OH I WISH YOU WERE HERE IN MN SO SOMEONE COULD SLAP A FINE ON YOUR ASS!!!!!!!!!

Trouter74

Recruit

AND FURTHER MORE USING TROUT FOR BAIT!!!!!!! ISNT THAT SOMEWHAT ILLEAGLE????<br /><br />YOU ARE A THIEF, YOU ARE STEALING FROM THE LAKES, WHAT ARE YOUR GRANDKIDS AND THEIR GRANDKIDS GONNA HAVE LEFT AFTER YOU GET DONE RAPING ALL THE LAKES?????????????

Fishbusters

Ensign

**** it man these are SALT WATER TROUT otherwise known a weakfish. Aside from looks they are as related to the trout you are talking about as are bream. These are a smaler species of the same trout that most folks in the SE that fish salt water hope to catch. It is not hurting the population any at all to keep 40 nor is it ilegal to use them as bait but since they don't occur this far north I can not be 100% sure. These are found in the Gulf of Mexico. Next time get your facts straight before you blast someone.

Trouter74

Recruit

Ok, are they gamefish? If so they are illeagle to use as bait!!!<br /><br />And so your saying keeping 40 of them wont hurt the population, what if 10,000 people kept 40 or more an outing every weekend of the year, what do you suppose would happen to them? Think they're population would just be thriving!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?<br /><br />WRONG BUDDY!!!!!<br /><br />Your point of view is exactly the way the point of view on native brook trout was here in minnesota, you used to be able to catch 3 pound wild brookies, they were over fished up to 1990, ONLY then did they put special regulations for some streams, now your lucky if you catch a wild brookie over 10 inches!!!!!<br /><br />And [ not to sound racist, but its the bitter truth ] all these mexican and Hmong people in minnesota will fish out 100 trout a day with there inlarged families even though they take more then their limit they think in some magic way more trout will just appear....UH UH BUDDY they dont!!!!<br /><br />And you would think they would put the regs out in Hmong and Mexican, thats right up the liberal's alley, but they dont!!! <br /><br />And then there are alot of white meat hunters like this man that will also desimate populations if they are in numbers!!!!!

Fishbusters

Ensign

Look I eon't debate the catch and cook and catch and release issue with you here. I checked out your profile and saw it said STUDENT we;; as such a young fellow i would not expect you to understand the diffrences in game laws and such but here in SC it is legal to use game fish as bait just as you would anything else but you have to stay within your limits. Derwood is in FLA and you can use game fish as bait there but they are more specific. Sugar Trout as I said are not true trout but a salt water fish. They are very prolific and almost no one fishes for them as they are so small. I don't begrudge Derwood taking fish for food just recently I kept 34 shellcrackers and put the majority in my freezer. I also have used thousands of smaller ones (mixed with other bream)for bait in the past 32 years and intend on using at least as many more in the next 32. Now before you jump me about this I have seen first hand the decline of a fishery due to overfishing and have seen it's comeback. Each fishery and fish must have it's own regulations based on it's population, reproductivity, survivalbility and growth rate. Here they recently relaxed the laws a little on stripers because of the survivalbility because they die if stressed out over the summer. It allows people to keep a few smaller fish because they would die anyway. Now all this said you need to get ALL the facts before you start compairing what happens in a trout stream to what happens on the open ocean.

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Trouter74,<br /><br /> It's obvious you have a lot to learn about fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. Having lived on the Gulf Coast for a few years in Niceville, Florida I took the time to learn the laws. The laws are different for wade fishing and for fishing from a boat.<br /><br /> It's obvious you mistook Salt Water trout from Florida for a trout you would catch in a stream. Interesting that you call yourself Trouter. <br /> To quote Dorothy... "Todo, we ain't in Kansas any more". There is no comparison between the laws you use for trout fishing in a stream and salt water fishing in the Gulf.<br /> Please try to use better manners and check your facts before you get excited and yell at folks. Now I won't be rough on you because you're a student and it is obvious you still have a lot to learn. We old guys will be happy to share what we know if you stop yelling at one of our respected members. <br /> I hope to hear some positive comments from you and I since I've spent years fishing for salt water Sugar Trout and Speckled Trout I'd like to hear some tips from you about how to catch some freshwater trout.

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Having reread this thread I'm compelled to make another comment. I want to quote Neil Eskelin...<br /><br />When we shake hands it's a natural friendly gesture. However, the custom originated in the Middle Ages. When two men met they extended their right arms and shook hands to show they did not intend to use their swords. It was a display of courtesy and goodwill. <br /> <br /> The practice of good manners started even earlier. In the nineteenth chapter of Genesis, it is recorded that when two angels came to the entrance of the city of Sodom, Lot "rose up to meet them, and he bowed himself." <br /> <br /> For many, being polite has become a lost art. Someone once commented, "I don't recall your name. But your manners are familiar." <br /> <br /> Etiquette is not limited to knowing how to make a proper introduction or learning which knife or fork to use at a formal banquet. Courtesies reflect your basic values of honesty, fairness, caring and accountability. <br /> <br /> Charles and Anne Winters, who head a national etiquette training program say, "Practicing good manners is how we treat others with honor, dignity and respect." <br /> <br /> There are hundreds of rules for proper behavior, but almost all of them are based on your response to this question: Do I think of others more than myself? <br /> <br /> Remember, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

dear mister trouter 74,<br /> it is my first reaction to blast you one, but since i am a nice guy i won't....don't push it. they are saltwater trout. they are not classed as game fish. they are small and most pepole prefur not to catch them because bigger fish are there to catch all the time in the same place. they are eaten buy almost all of the gamefish and are very abundant. they in no way share the same weaknesses as freashwater trout and are very hardy fish. even if i can use gamefish as bait i don't because if i spend the time to catch one i would eat it or let it go depending on what it is. i fish for these fish once a year and most pepole don't fish for them at all. i have been fishing here in fla. for 28 years...thats probly longer than you have been alive, i was here before the limits on redfish were put into efect and was against pepole catching more than they could eat because everyone fished for them and every year there was a differance in the ammount of fish caught. now you may only keep one and they are on a stroung comeback...i agree with this and was putting it into personal effect before the law was even written. i fully respect the laws on fish limmits as do all of the gentalmen on this fourm, and understand them and the reson that they were written. i would also like you to know that it took me a great many hours to clean every single one of these fish and properly store them so they would not go to waste even if most other pepole don't give a hoot what would happen to them as they are generaly unpopular do to their small size. so please do not come on to this fourm and blast pepole that you do not know about fish that you have obviosly never seen and know absolutly nothing about in a state that you have never been to. do not preach laws to pepole that were alive before they were written and know them better than you do because we were here to see the big picture unfold before our eyes. we have seen the damage done, the toll it took on the fisheries,the laws go into effect and change time and time again untill they started to make a difference...personally willing to make sacrifices for the good of a species and the good that these laws have done with no complaints on our part because we DO care about how we effect the enviroment arround us. it is my advice to you to visit this fourm as often as you like...keeping it polite. there are alot of very intelligent pepole here (even the ones that can't spell to good...me), and all have put in their time on the water to gain the knowlage it takes to help young men such as yourself when you have questions that you want answers to. i hold no malace twords you and you are welcome to ask me any thing that you want and i will try to answer it if i can. i would not be in the kitchen if i could'nt handle a little heat now and then even if i don't deserve it. do unto others as you would have them do unto you... i have given you the respect that you did not give me first, even after you called me a lake raper and theif stealing from my grandchildren (very,very impolite) that is what being a true gentalman is all about. that is what all of us here at this fourm practice and all that we ask in return. we bust each others chops now and again, but keep it respectful and it is all in good fun. good luck and tight lines. <br />derwood.<br />P.S. gave me the shaft did'nt he guys.

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spoken like a gentleman; directly, honestly, and politely. As is all good advice is given on this board -- direct, honest, and polite.

martyscher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Although I certainly don't condone Trout74's poor behavior, he may have a point.<br /><br />If these are indeed weakfish, according to Florida fishing regulations, the minimum keeper size is 12" with a maximum of 4 fish.<br /><br />Other fishing information states that weakfish are in decline in certain areas, which may relate to the lower bag limits.<br /><br />Most people who abide by state mandated fishing regulations might consider this poaching.<br /><br />They do look like tasty fish though ;)

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Although I'm not supporting Trouty's response, 40 fish is alot to keep. I only keep what I can eat, I have the same rules for everyone on my boat. Considering weakfish (sea trout) don't freeze well, I personally wouldn't keep that many. If you truly enjoy the fish and really eat all of them or share them with friends, go for it (as long as you follow the law)

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

silsetro.jpg
<br />this is the silver sea trout. as i said before it is not a weakfish. it is not a game fish. it dose freeze as well as any other fish that i have caught and kept. they are the bream of the sea. i cooked the first 25 in a family fish fry that i have once a year and the rest were eaten within the next month. i will not go to catch them again till next year. with all of the bream caught in the U.S. by the billons i am not doing anything differnt. just not near as many pepole fish for these fish because of all of the other much larger fish that are considerd worthy game. they are not endangerd and do not have a bag or size limit in the state of FL. if you break it down i have caught on an anual basis less than one fish per week. i will also put up a couple of posts showing the other saltwater trout. come on yall, if i fished for these fish all the time i WOULD only take enough for one meal at a time even while there is no law to govern them. in fact i only know of two other pepole that fish for them, while i am sure there must be more, to only know of a small hand full of full time saltwater fisherman that even know they exist says something. i am not tring to be a jerk here but understand that i have lived here my hole life and i got ramrodded by a kid from minnisota who dose'nt even know what a silver trout is.<br />derwood

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Derwood,<br />I'm glad to see that you actually enjoy the fish you catch, and more importantly, eat what you catch. I know too many people that keep everything they catch and never intend to eat them. Glad you are not one of them. : )

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

sandsetro.jpg
<br />this is the sand seatrout. i have never seen one exsept in pictures and do not know the laws that govern them. i do not know if they are in the waters that i fish but they are in FL waters some where.<br />derwood

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

weakfish.jpg
<br />this is the ifamous weakfish that has brought me all this greif. funny thing is, just like the sand trout i have never seen one exsept in pictures. they to are in FL waters but i do not no where nor do i know the laws that govern them because i dont fish for them. rest asured if i did i would follow the law to the letter and most likely not take as many as i would be allowed to take because i only want enough large fish for one meal ata time. i dont do fish fries with large fish because children dont eat all of whats one there plate for the most part and i dont like to waste what i catch.<br />derwood

marty_scher

Petty Officer 1st Class

With no bag limits on on a tasty table fish, go for it and enjoy.<br /><br />I, like others like to make a mountain out of a molehill, until we get put in our place.<br /><br />You should try to go fishing more than once a season ;) .