sugar trout

D

DJ

Re: sugar trout

Derwood, <br /><br />I am with you. You DID NOT deserve that scud lobbed into your camp, especially by someone that had no clue why or for what they were blasting you for. Something about, engaging mouth before engaging brain comes to mind. :rolleyes: <br /><br />My father was a wildlife biologist for the State of Michigan for 30 plus years. He knew more about the environment he dealt with than anyone in the state. He started to see people coming out of colleges that did know anything about the environment, but thought they did, and had an agenda. That agenda was to limit access. Those folks are now running the show and the agenda is the same.<br /><br />We're in a real battle here to preserve our abilities to use the environment (responsibly) that surrounds us. If anyone on this board doesn't believe that people that fish are not in the sights of the environmentalists, you had better wake up.<br /><br />1. Whether you fish or not, buy a license. Money talks to politicians and license fees are huge. <br /><br />2. Join national and local fishing clubs. If it were not for the NRA, we would all be in the same boat as our freinds in Australia.<br /><br />When's the fish fry?? :D

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

spotsetro.jpg
<br />this is the spotted sea trout. i live for this fish, i love this fish and it is by farrrrr my most favorite fish on the planet. i have fished for these trout since i was five years old and hope to die of a heartattack with a 10+ pounder on my line under a beautiful FL sunset.( or in bed with my wife doing the hunka chunka) the laws regarding this fish are as follows: not more than five fish per day. none less than 15" or more than 20" except 1 over 20" per person. there is a closed seson on them in febuary in the northwest region. the best thing they have done to help the fisheries of spoted sea trout was to make these bag limits and ban inshore netting. inshore netting for shrimp and mullet was decimateing trout, redfish and snook populations as well as the total amount of pepole (recreational fisherman) that were catching vast numbers of fish every week and some times more than once a week. i am talking about 30 reds in a day or more a couple of times a week. i have seen this with my own eyes. this was before the laws were in place to govern this type of harvest. at once a week that is 1,560 fish anually per fisherman. times that by everybody and their brother doing it and the vast fish kills by the netters and you can plainly see why they where all but knocked out.it was the same with the trout and snook. i would never ever even think of doing that to a gamefish or any other fish. i never take more than my limit and most times i only take 3 because that is all that my faimly will eat at a meal. i treat these fish gently with wet hands as do fresh water trout fisherman even though i dont think that they are as fragial. i cut my lines on all gut hooked fish bar none and have now gone over to the circle hooks because of the better liveabilaty to fish from these hooks. i release all fish that are in roe. it all starts with you setting an example to your kids and other fishermen to better the fisheries. i dont have a problem with pepole takeing all of there limit, that is why there is a limit, but i just chose to take what i can eat and no more, the rest are for fun and let go by personal choice. if i though even for a second that my 40 fish per year was going to hurt the sugar trout i would not fish the way i do for them. so you see gents, i am not a lake raper or a thief from small infants and have no problem holding my head high when i go out to the salt for a day of fishing. on that note i am done defending myself and yall can have your own opinions of me. its your right and i would not take that away from anyone even if its not in my favor. :) ;) :cool: <br />derwood.<br />P.S. my freind and fishing buddy on the phone just told me that the bag on weakfish is 4 per day per fisherman over 12" with no slot limit. good luck and good gung fu(tight lines).

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Derwood,<br /><br />You sound like a first class dude...chill and enjoy those sugar trout (I grill my trout....mmm).

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

hey bud,<br /> try this one on for size: fiesta fish(don't know the origanl name)<br /><br />couple of fresh fillets(fish of your choice)<br />a grill (hub caps don't work well :D )<br />wood (don't tear down the neibours fence, oak will do :D )<br />salt and pepper (i like a big pinch of pepper :eek: )<br />pace picante sauce (try mild first so as not to kill the taste spuds ;) )<br /><br /> get the grill going ( small indian fire, no big white mans fire. keep your eye brows :D ) get it going at a good medium heat. get a flat cookie sheet (sneak it past the wife, they get possesive when it comes to bakeing stuff :eek: ) pour a little picante sause on the pan( just enough to keep the fish from sticking ;) ) make a couple of slices in the skin so it dose'nt curl up. lay it in the sauce and salt and pepper the up side( like you could do the other side,right). then put some picante sause on it (i like a lot) when its time to flip do the same to the other side. i like to flip it two extra times to let the smoke and picante sause sink in. keep the lid closed between flips so as to build up some good smoke. when its done eat it right away while its good and hot...mmmmmmmmmmmmm good. spike it with a little lemon for a little tang. my wife came up with this one.( she'll kill me if i take the creidt). ;) <br />derwood<br />P.S. post me back if you like it, it'll make my wife's day.

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Derwood,<br /><br />Kicked ass with stripers last Sunday. I think I'll give your recipe a trial. We are only allowed to keep two, but they were fat and huge. I have not gone weakfishing yet, they not running stong enough in my neck of the woods.

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

sounds like you had some fun. i think that you will like it. my girl that eats fish from a cardboard sea likes it(amazeing). i have'nt fished for eather, they both reside here...somewhere...? i could catch stripers at rodmans dam in ocala(st johns river) but i don't get up that way to much. i would like to find a speices range map as to where to find weakfish at. i would like to catch one just to see what they look like in person. just don't tell trouter74 bout it. he'll acuse me of being a stalker or something and scream for my head on a pike :D <br />good luck and good gung fu(tight lines)<br />derwood<br />P.S. remember, post me if you like it. it seems my wife's pride is hanging in the balance here.

Fishbusters

Ensign

Hey Derwood you sound like a guy I could enjoy fishing and BSing with. One day I may have to make a trip to your part of FLA and look you up. As it is I will be in the area between St Augustine and Daytona (family in Palm Coast) and will be doing some land bound fishing the July 4th weekend. I plan on leaving the wife and kids with her sister one day hitting Flaggler and the other Matanzas inlet (I think that is right it is just south of St Augustine on A1) there is a recreation area where you can sometimes catch reds and trout as well as sheepshead and other things. If you or anyone knows any locations in that area to fish let me know.

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

derwood,<br /><br />Cooked some striper using your wife's recipe on the smoker/grill. It turned out awesome. Thanks for the recipe. Never made it out this weekend, the weather/seas didn't cooperate.

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

good, i'm glad you liked it. my wife was happy to see that you liked it to. i'm sure that somewhere, someone has done it before. it's new to us. the only thing left in the fridge besides the pace that day was blueberry sause left over from an egg custerd that she had made. some how i don't think trout and blueberrys are a good mix :rolleyes: .<br /> <br /> i did make it out on the water this weakend. got two trout and a shark, in that order, when the sharks came in the trout went out. i had just put on the last of my good lures, the rest of them are all in the sea on posidons trophy wall, and gave it a good sling as far as i could.....wham, not 2 seconds into my retrive a nice hit. i was a happy camper as i was fighten that one, partly because it was big and partly because i got it on my 7.50$ mirrorlure catch 2000, gold platted , dimond eyed, blessed by the fish gods, fish killer lure. i loved that lure. it was the first mirrorlure i had bought since my gradpa and uncle died. i got it up close enough to see what it was and it was a #@&&%^$#@@@#*&^%^%%#%& 4ft shark :mad: . he got in on the anchor rope and waved goodbye with my lure. he is now my white whale, and i will hunt him down for that. these sharks hang arround for awhile before moving on when they come in for the pin fish spawn. i caught the same one 3 times that day( unfortuneitly not the one with my lure) and he had 3 of my circle hooks in his lip. he looked like quee queg from moby**** with all that jewlry. did you see that....it bleeped my word. they need to put a classics program into this puppy so we don't look like potty mouths.<br /><br /> peter i will ask my sister to do some fishing espionage. she lives in ormand beach betwen st aug. and daytona beach. i'll get her to ask some of here freinds where to go and what to use, maby she can help.<br />derwood

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Derwood, <br /><br />I hate when that happens. Sometimes it seems easier to pick up your wallet and throw it in the water. Have you ever tried Yo-Zuri lures (Crystal Minnow)? I really like them because they are tough, very flashy, and catch fish.<br /><br />I'm considering towing the boat south to the Delaware Bay to go after weakfish and brown sharks if my brothers can get off. Sharks are cool, the Jaws factor is fun.<br /><br />Do you guys catch sheepshead? We caught some last year in Ocean City Maryland. They were a blast. Can you eat them? We didn't know what to do with them.

Fishbusters

Ensign

Thanks I appreciate it. We may not go however it seems we planned our trip for a race weekend and the motel that charges us $68 wants $199 for the same room. I can't find any cheaper with a vacancy heck I can't even find a campground as of yet. I hate camping in FL this time of year but will so the wife can see her sister, nephew and the new baby (nephew's).

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Derwood,<br /><br /> Question regarding your recipe... technique actully. After coating fillet top and bottom with picante sauce -- do you put the cookie sheet on top of the grill or do you remove it from the cookie sheet and grill the fillets without the cookie sheet?

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

peter,<br /> there is a campground called anistasia st. park (i think i spelled that right) right inbetween st. aug. and ormand (daytona) beach. its real close to the fort and its right on the beach (well it's a real short walk). this time of year there will be a lot of beach bums (surfers and teeny boppers) there in the day time but its a long beach and me and the misses just drove down the beach till we got away from them. it belongs to the state and unless your cammping there you can't go on the beach at night after they close the gates. if you are cammping there you can go on it at night ;) ;) ;) ( leave the kids at the tent and take a beach towle and a bottle of bubbly, just don't let the beach police see you with it)...sorry misses fishbuster, don't mean to get to personal. anyway me and my wife took our honeymoon there. it's been 13 years so i'd check it out as far as the rules go if your interested. heck if you called them to make reservations you could probly ask them whats bitting( besides the skitters) and what to catch them on this time of year. it was my anniversery so i only took one pole :D .<br /><br />RJS,<br />yes i have bought a yo-zuri plug (notice i said i bought it and did not say i used it). my stupid fishing buddy lost it on a darn ladyfish before i got a chance to use it. i'm going to put a lock on my tackle box when he's arround, or maby charge him a security deposit. he has lost at least 4 good plugs that i barely got out of the box. i'm going to put a dead pinfish in his tackle box for his lure spongen crimes. as far as sheapshead they are real,real good to eat. they are kinda small but are palete pleasers for sure. as far as jaws goes, i'm not even going to go there. i'm still steamen bout that one.<br /><br /> warhorse,<br /> i put the cookie sheet right on the grill (hence the pissed off wife). i will cook the fish right in the picantae sause. but i won't put the lemon in till i get it on the plate. if the grill is a little hot i shut it down for a little while and let it get real smokey right on the fish. i'm useing wood of coarse ( my grill would burm me but good if i used charcoal, we have an understanding, nothing but wood or elese!). something about salt, pepper, smoke, picantae sause, lemon and fish that just goes together. i try to get as much smoke down to it as i can because it dose'nt take long to cook and i like the smokey flavor mixed in with the picantae sause. if i have to i will even use a small oak sapling. they will produce alot of red smoke coating fast. some times to much and i have to watch it close so i don't ruin it with to much smoke. well hope this helps. good eats<br /><br />see ya fellers till tommorow.<br />derwood :cool:

tenacrewoods

Cadet

You might like This! Cover fillets in butter(kneed in by hand)then soak buttered fish in white wine Worstishire sauce for half an hour,sprinkle with garlic and lemon pepper seasoning and grill on Aluminum foil and low fire.I didn't like grilled fish till I tried this.UM!UM!GOOOOD!<br /> Mike E

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Derwood,<br /><br /> Thanks amigo!<br /><br />tenacrewoods, <br /><br /> I use a similar recipe only instead of white wine and Worstishire sauce I use white wine and chopped parsley..... I'm gonna try your recipe. <br /><br /> It is said that when you want to drink a Lone Star in some of the finer establishments in Texas they check you for guns when you enter the door.... and if you don't have a gun they will loan you one until you leave. :confused:

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

derwood, you are much more of a gentleman than most of us guys out west would be; trouter74 would get dumped into the coldest and deepest section of the Columbia and invited to walk home for his ignorance. There's limits on salmon, steelhead, sturgeon and walleye here, but not on shad (Bonneville Dam count 6/15/02: 1,942,726 ytd), so we catch all we need for crab bait, then catch and release the rest.<br />Tried your recipe on sturgeon: very nice. I use a gas barbeque ( :rolleyes: ), and added a little wet wood on tin foil for smoke. <br />My favorite fish to eat are halibut and spring salmon (as opposed to the fall runs), so I'll try your recipe on trout, walleye or halibut.<br />Guys, if you can get it in your part of the country, try "Yoshida's" sauce. Works well on any meat, and would be better, I think, than Worchester sauce.<br /> I must be getting old: I'd rather talk about eating fish than catching them! :D :D

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

CaptMike,<br /><br />I agree, Yoshida's sauce is really good. We use it with Shishkabobs. It's good with chicken and pork too, but a bit to strong for fish. If you can find it, try Dale's marinade. very good.<br /><br />If you guys can get tomatillos, try cutting them up with onions and butter, plus some herbs with weakfish in a foil pack on the grill. This turns out pretty good.

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Derwood,<br /><br />For some reason, your post has attracted some pretty cool people.<br /><br />Thanks<br />RJS

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

yae bud it has, i am going to get fat(fatter) tring all this stuff out. i showed my wife that her recipe has had a good review and that she is now an internationaly known (new zeland, spain) chef. she liked that. thank you all for maken her happy, i appriceate it. :cool: <br />derwood