What's the best Baitcasting reel for Beginners?

I was just wondering what kind of baitcasting reels you guys use (if you do use them). I have heard that a baitcaster is a very difficult, but usefull fishing tool. I also heard that you need to get a good quality reel to use one properly. <br />I purchased a CHEEP Wal-Mard baitcasting reel and I was dissapointed on how it preformed. You almost had to have a brick for a weight to get it out farther that 10 ft from the boat. I guess that is what you get when you get a reel that was $29.95 marked down to $14.95. I really need a good reel that is easy to cast and in the $45 to $60+ price range. Tell me that Make and Modle that works well for you. Thanks for your help. ;)

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What's the best Baitcasting reel for Beginners?

Matt L,<br /><br />I firmly believe a bait casting reel is a BAD choice for all but the most experienced fishers. I've been fishing the better part of the last 50 something years and since well made alternatives to bait casters came out in the 1950s, I quit using them. <br /><br />I much prefer a good quality open face spinning reel or a spin cast reel. My experience is that the quality is directly related to the price. The more bucks, the better the reel. I own 15 or so different types and brands - my Abu Garcia Abumatic model 1275 spin cast (about $70 from Cabela's) is my favorite general use reel. Bottom line - user what ever kind of rod/reel combo that makes fishing even more pleasurable!<br /><br />tcube

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

A quality reel is a must in baitcasting. I purchased the cheapest Shimano (only about 2 years ago) when I first started. About $60.00. I learned to use all the features and what they did, how to tune the magnets. etc... For accurate cast you cannot beat a baitcaster. The only way to get accurate is to practice and it pays off big after a few months. <br />I use a Quantum Energy 400 now. Great reel. One of the best out there is Shimano Curado. I would suggest that you learn the features of the reel that you have purchased, learn why it is not casting too well. What model is it?<br />Dman

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Matt.<br /><br />Using a baitcaster is like riding a unicycle. It takes a while to learn, and while learning it seems impossible.<br /><br />Once you become competent a lure or bait is far easier to control and big, strong fish are easiere to play.<br /><br />Learning to set the drag and the brake are pretty straightforward, but you must do what many men don't: you have to read the directions carefully and follow them exactly.<br /><br />Educating your thumb is the hard part, but if thousands of us dummies can learn it, you sure as heck can, too.<br /><br />Abu Garcia, Shimano, Daiwa and others make very good reels. My favorites are the Garcia Ambassaduers. I have a 5600 Morrum, Pro max 1600, 3600 and 5600 and two 7000s.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

rpeeples

Seaman Apprentice

I would say that if a person is just starting out in fishing to buy a Zebco 202 rod and reel or something similar. They are cheap and easy to use, and fairly reliable. Then if the person decides not to fish anymore he/she won't be out much money. <br /><br />The best way I have found to get a person hooked on fishing, especially a child, is to go to a pond where there are lots of bluegill. The person will have a great time catching them and the fish will put up a good "fight". <br /><br />I got my cousin's little girl (about 3 yrs old) to catch some bluegills with me a while back, now all she wants to do is fish. She will even hold the fish and "try" to take the hook out herself. Maybe one of these days she will even be a pro fisher-woman??? :D :D

Ok, to answer your questions, the reel is an FLW. That is all that is on it, and it came with no directions, only with a order form with all that parts numbered in case if something breaks. They left me completely in the dark. That is probably why it costed $14.95. :confused:

495v

Chief Petty Officer

To be honest with you Matt, I don't think there is a good baitcaster for that kind of money. I have a couple of Shimano's, the curado($150) and the calcutta($350) and they are excellent, but you get what you paid for. The calcutta is currently rigged with 30lb test and I can cast small bass baits with it farther than most spinning reels. The curado has been coming down in price, you may want to check it out. I have another baitcaster that is a quantuam( one of their cheaper models) and it doesn't even compare to the Shimano's. As far as getting used to using them, in my opinion their like driving stick, the same but different. They will all have different qualities and characteristics which will make them perform differently. But I'll tell you what, ever since I started using them, I wouldn't even consider buying another spinning reel!

ebbtide176

Commander

i think you've gotten useful opinions already, but i'll add some more. i felt just as you when i first bought a bc. cost @$40- Diawa PMA1000. @15yrs ago. it is still one of my buds(we boughtem same time)fav reels and he fishes many local tourneys. i had same feelings as you- it cast like a tying your anchor to the boat trailer winch and trying to hurl it past the end of the trailer... you gotta learn to loosen the spool magnets(anti-backlash protection)and spool spindle cap,and train your thumb, just as critically as you would learning to play a banjo 1 week before an audition for nashville... ;) well you get my drift.<br />and practice throwing with the wind, never against it. its like a rhythm fly fishermen use, you will learn a specific casting routine, and don't try to throw any harder or more softly. i learned by turning my magnets (anti-bklash)down to 1, loosening spool shaft cap til a lure i planned to use alot (med crankbait) would hit the water on freespool and cause a little bklash. then adjust the mags up to @ 1/2 way. so the lure would just fall from rodtip with a light plop and only unwind 1/2 turn or so. then cast,cast,cast til your thumb had it under control. <br />then you'll learn how to throw with very little mag/spool resistance, just 'thumb-touching' for control. HTH (hope this helps)<br />i still like openfaced reels for monotonous blanket casting,& crappie/bream. but i use my bc's for more than 1/2 my bassfishing. i'm not a big spender and i think you have a good idea of 40-60 - til possibly upgrdg with more exp. the reels i have:<br />Diawa PMA1000 - low end<br />Diawa BW2 - low end<br />Diawa TriforceZ 153A - sweet,mid range<br />2ea QuantumLite QL1000 - low end<br />Penn Peerless #9 - old&dependable - for trolling<br />Penn Levelwind 350 - old - for surf<br />& 5 openfaced,2 closedface

rpeeples

Seaman Apprentice

A good rod and reel can sometimes make for a good day fishing or turn one into a disaster. You don't really "have" to spend a lot of money to get a good combo. I have gotten some very good sets for less than $40. On the other hand I bought a reel once for $60 that was a peice of junk. Needless to say I took it back for a refund. <br /><br />One thing I can suggest when you buy a new rod and/or reel is to get out in your yard, tie on a weight about the same as you will be using to fish with, and give it a complete trial. Above all keep your receipt - and take it back if you don't like it. There is no sense in wasting money on something that does not live up to your standards.<br /><br />I have had good luck with Zebco, Daiwa, & Quantum to name a few. I would stay away from FLW & Shakespeare, though. :D :D :D

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

You may want to consider a bait runner spinning reel. Okuma makes a very good reel for a really good price. Abu-Garcia make very good bait casters. The only problem with giving a bait caster to a young kid is the bird's nest that will ultimately happen, most likely sooner than later. If your kid is an avid fisher, it may be worthwhile to invest the time to learn how to used a baitcaster; otherwise, a spinner may be a better choice. I fish mostly with baitcasters because I like the control.

I think I figured out why my reel will not function properly. I took the Magnetic Control off my reel and I found out that it was stuck on the highest level. I could of almost casted it overhand as hard as possible and it still would not of backlashed before I fixed it. The reel is still a peice of junk. After after practacing with it for a while I found that it wouldn't cast properly again, because the Magnetic Control was stuck again, but it did work fo a "WHILE". I would just like to thank all of you for your help and your ideas.<br /><br />thanks,<br /><br />Mattl

Xenos

Seaman Apprentice

The biggest mistake I think beginners make is either purchasing a too low or high quality. High is sometimes the worst. A perfect example is the new Curado SF or the Ambassador EON these are high end reels but for the beginner a nightmare there so smooth and loose I feel it’s for the experienced user. I have recommended both the Ambassador anti backlash and the Shimano Cardiff to several beginners both reels offer features such as the anti backlash and breaking system for beginners but allow them to be shut off when you have mastered the reel. I personally enjoy using the Cardiff on windy days as it’s the most forgiving one when tossing stick baits into the wind.<br /><br />JMO/Views<br />Xenos

Ranger354

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have to say tat I am gradually replacing all my bait casting reels with Curadas. In the 40 years of fishing I have used many different types. The Curadas have a great feel to them, but they start at $100. This might seem a little pricy fr a beginner. I also use spinning reels. The type of lure or bait that I am fishing dictates which rod and reel combo that have in my hand. Some rod and reels I have found work better with some lures. I am also ambidexstrious(sp) so I can cast with either hand. <br /><br />Shop around and purchase for the long run. It will be money well spent!

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

The Abu Garcia Antibacklash series are hard to beat for a beginner. You can literally jerk the line at the rod tip, and it won't backlash on the reel.<br /><br />I've started 3 different experienced spinfishermen, but baitcast beginners out with this reel, and they love them.

NathanY

Commander

I have had several open spool baitcasting reels over the years, and my favorite for the money was an Ambassador 5500, costs about 50 bucks and very simple to use. They are not as hard to operate as you might think, its just when your learning your thumb will get very sore. The best advice that I can give you is carry a small pick with you so that when you backlash (which you will many many times) you can untangle the line easier.

I would just like to thank all of you who responded to this post. I bought a Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6000 with a Abu Garcia rod. It seems to work A LOT better than my FWL ever did. I don't really know if it is a great reel yet, all that I have done is cast it in the yard, but it seems real nice. <br /><br />Thanks again, all of your replies helped a great deal.<br /><br />Mattl

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

MattL,<br /><br />You won't be sorry with the Abu-Garcia. Under $100 Bucks, I think they're the best. I fish alot of saltwater and beat the crap out of my reels. They hold up very well and cast very well.

mithgar

Cadet

matt,<br /><br />I would have to agree with the previous posters that they Shimano Curado is a great real. For under 100 you may want to look at the Citica also. On thing that I would add is if you are right handed and used to fishing with spinning rods (casting right and reeling left) buy left handed bait casting reels (if your left handed, buy right handed bait casters) That's a trick that I learned a long time ago and I think it's a lot easier than casting with your right, switching the rod to the left and then reeling with the right hand. Don't know that it made me a better fisherman, but I can get it more casts per day than the typical fisherman who has to switch hands. <br /><br />hope that helped<br /><br />doc

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class

if your going to buy a good reel do it once, not many times. the shimano curado 200 and 200BSF are awsome. I prefer the BSF as the line flies out of it. also the rod you put it on can make a difference in the castability also. what type of fishing would you be doing? i have my BSF's on some of the Falcon Coastal rods, and a Castaway. The falcons are high quality and are relativly cheap. Kistler makes some great rods also. good bass rods.<br /><br />Yeah you can learn to use an advanced reel. when you get it right you wont be looking to get a better combo. the curado 200 goes for 110.00 and the bsf is 149.00 in se texas