• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the secret to catching SHEEPSHEAD?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the secret to catching SHEEPSHEAD?

Ok you experts....give up you secrets to catching this fish! (Sheepshead)1. Fishing rig 2. Best baitI live in N.C. and thus far...I have fed a lot of fiddler crabs...caught a few sheepshead. Gotta be a secret to catching em that I dont know.

Re: What's the secret to catching SHEEPSHEAD?

Got the same problem as you. I have fed more than I have caught. I can fish right beside my buddy and he can pull them up left and right and I will get maybe one, if I am lucky. Always use fiddler crabs on bottom line, but he tells me if you can feel them taking you bait, it's too late. I think he just knows the trick and will not tell me!!!

Comment

I think the ones I caught...l caught because they got full...and careless.Oh well, guess you and I aren't the only ones who don't know secret or others are "true" fishermen... THEY AIN'T TALKING!

Comment

I used to bet first time fishermen that they would lose ten baits for every SH they caught. I never lost a bet.You cannot have ANY slack in your line, and you have to use as light of a sinker that you can get away with. Also, start out with a sensitive tip, fast action rod. I also like the braided lines, since there is no stretch to them, like Fireline or PowerPro. Use about 30 lb. test.What I tell fustrated friends to try that are having a tough time catching them is to "time" how long it takes the fish to steal your bait. If you feel any quiver, see your line move, or any other "different" thing, your bait is gone.Let's say it take 5 seconds for you to lower your bait, and then it is gone when you retrieve. Then, rebait, and do the same thing, except at 4 seconds, raise your rod quickly about a foot. Most times you will have a fish. If not, leave it there and jerk it (not super hard, and only about a foot of rod tip movement) in 2 or 3 seconds later.Once you get the "feel" of the bite, you will start catching them.One more trick, cut 1/2 inch squares of squid, and put a small piece on the hook after you put on the fiddler crab. It is tough, and sometimes the wil make a second pass and you can hook them.Good luck, and don't get frustrated. If they get to you, you might as well quit trying for them.

Comment

What I have found most important when fishing in the gulf is location. By far, the most productive sheephead spots are over oyster beds. Caught all mine on shrimp (alive and dead - not frozen). Catch them on light tackle w/ 12lb line and enjoy the fight.

Comment

Okay you guys, whats a "sheepshead"?Over here you'd have to catch a sheep first - excuse my lousy joke.Ross

Comment

for one thing u guys must not be on the great lakes we catch so many sheep head its unreal but the thing is there a garbage fish i dont know who in there right mind would eat one of them things

Comment

oh forgot to say a sheephead is called a fresh water drum also never been sea fishin but i guess there good if there in salt water

Comment

Heck, i use nightcrawlers on the river and have caught as many as 125 drum in 3 hrs of fishing and have pic's to prove it.

Comment

when were casting for walleyes with an erie derie tip with a crawler u cant keep the off it somedays on lake erie

Comment

i know a guy that takes fine wire & wire ties the crab / bait to the hook TRY AN STEAL IT NOW ....

Comment

Comment

You have to be able to jerk your rod when the sheepshead opens his mouth to bite. Really, I use sand fleas that I caught with a fine mesh net in the surf. I also use a special sheepshead hook becauce they can litterally bite a regular into. I drop my bait to the bottom then lift it about a foot or two and kind of balance the rod in one hand while the other hand is in position to jerk quick. when you feel the very first slightest movement I lower the rod tip just a little and most of the time they jump on it. A sheepshead usually crunches the barnicles on a pilon and grabs the pieces when they fall. This is how we catch them on the northeast coast of North Carolina. A lot of people use various types of bait. I would like to try for them one time in the Wilmington area. Don't forget jerk the rod when he opens his mouth to bite. A fish is like a woman, if they didn't open their mouth so much they wouldn't get into so much trouble. (joke) DAYSCATCH

Comment

I didn't realize that they were hard to catch. I have only fished for'em one time with some friends at Keaton Beach, and slaughtered'em. We were fishing with frozen shrimp on our fresh water bass rigs. Location was over a ship wreck about 30' down.

Comment

ross j A sheepshead is a headach with stripes. when you want to catch them you can't and when you don't they are the only fish in the sea. sounds like i should try a reverse zabeeda on em .

Comment

Working...
                              X