SALT WATER VS. FRESH WATER BOATS?

davidroddy

Cadet
Re: SALT WATER VS. FRESH WATER BOATS?

After looking at all of this I'd say that you guys have about covered the entire spectrum. I will have to put in my 2 cents though. I agree that you should buy all that you can afford and that if you intend to spend any time offshore you should look at boats designed to do just that. You will give up some of the shallow water capabilities but then thats the choice you have to make. I live on the gulf coast and ended up buying two boats, a carolina skiff and a seacat. The Cat is a fantastic CC boat with the smoothest ride I have ever felt. I personnally think that it out performs many 30 footers and I often run down large 40-50 ft sport fishers in open waters on 3-4 ft chop. It will cost you up front but I think its worth every penny. There are many boat makers out there and many of theme are offering some sort of catamaran these days. You may decide otherwise but you really should atleast look at the Cat option. You will find that they are advertised as the smoothest most efficient hulls on the market and after a year of fishing 30-100 miles offshore I have to agree!