• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the proper trolling speed range?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the proper trolling speed range?

I now have a 21' Bayliner openbow, with a 5.0lt V-8 w/ volvo penta drive. And I want to start doing some trolling on Lake Erie and Ontario. What is the speed range I should be running for trolling?? I will be using flys, plugs, spoons, spinners, ect. I will be fishing for trout and salmon or walleye and what ever wants to bite. I haven't been trolling since I was a kid, so I have no idea how fast I should be running. Please help.Thanks,goof

Re: What's the proper trolling speed range?

Trolling speed depends a lot on what you are fishing for. Here, in the Pacific Northwest I troll for several types of salmon. If I'm trolling for kings, I'll troll about 1 to 1.5 mph relative to current. If I'm fishing for silvers I like to troll about 2 to 2.5 mph. I'd suggest you consider a trolling motor ... your big one won't like extended time at low rpm.

Comment

What should I look for, for a trolling motor? Would one of the electric ones work on a boat 21', on a rough lake (2-3' waves are normal)? Thanks,goof

Comment

Ok, I just found out that most guys here on the great lakes troll at 2-4mph. Does that make any more of a difference on my motor? Or do I still need a trolling motor?Thanks,goof

Comment

I boat on Lake Erie. I have a 120 mercruiser on a 17'boat. I have the same problem as you. My engine at idle pushes the boat too fast for trolling(5-6mph). If I were you I would get a trolling motor. Gas would be better but a high thrust electric might do the trick. You could also try the old 5 gallon bucket trick. Drag two 5 gallon buckets with rope, this might slow you down a little. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks Phil,Thats a great idea, I might have ta giver a try.later,Rob

Comment

Working...
            X