• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the proper trolling speed range?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the proper trolling speed range?

I now have a 21' Bayliner openbow, with a 5.0lt V-8 w/ volvo penta drive. And I want to start doing some trolling on Lake Erie and Ontario. What is the speed range I should be running for trolling?? I will be using flys, plugs, spoons, spinners, ect. I will be fishing for trout and salmon or walleye and what ever wants to bite. I haven't been trolling since I was a kid, so I have no idea how fast I should be running. Please help.Thanks,goof

Re: What's the proper trolling speed range?

Trolling speed depends a lot on what you are fishing for. Here, in the Pacific Northwest I troll for several types of salmon. If I'm trolling for kings, I'll troll about 1 to 1.5 mph relative to current. If I'm fishing for silvers I like to troll about 2 to 2.5 mph. I'd suggest you consider a trolling motor ... your big one won't like extended time at low rpm.

Comment

What should I look for, for a trolling motor? Would one of the electric ones work on a boat 21', on a rough lake (2-3' waves are normal)? Thanks,goof

Comment

Ok, I just found out that most guys here on the great lakes troll at 2-4mph. Does that make any more of a difference on my motor? Or do I still need a trolling motor?Thanks,goof

Comment

I boat on Lake Erie. I have a 120 mercruiser on a 17'boat. I have the same problem as you. My engine at idle pushes the boat too fast for trolling(5-6mph). If I were you I would get a trolling motor. Gas would be better but a high thrust electric might do the trick. You could also try the old 5 gallon bucket trick. Drag two 5 gallon buckets with rope, this might slow you down a little. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks Phil,Thats a great idea, I might have ta giver a try.later,Rob

Comment

Working...
            X