What baits good for Northern Pike??

RTDcanuck

Seaman Apprentice
I'm big on fishing bass up north been doing it all my life but was just wondering whats worked for you guys and ladies in the means of bait for Northern Pike I heard rapalas husky jerk was good?? Any others or *tips* for catching Northern Pike?? Thanx and best of luck to you all!!
smile.gif
<br /><br />------------------<br />------------------------<br />Canuck's my name fishings my game!!

NotoriusPIG

Cadet
Re: What baits good for Northern Pike??

I have had my best luck with pike trolling a spinnerbait along the weed edge.

JLB

Recruit

I fish in Canada every spring and the most consistant producer I have found is the 3\8 ounce ratlin rapala. I don't know how it will work later on when the water heats up.

uflanke

Cadet

try red/white daredevils, and gold johnson spoons. Pike are preditors (sp?). They'll atack or at least follow most any lure. Key on lures that get their attention - rattles, flash, etc... Experiment with what you have. I've had a lot of luck with many lures. If it gets slow. try using something that resembles a black leach 4-5" long. I forget what they call them in Canada (something like tellies?), but it's pikes main forage in the Canadian shield lakes.<br /><br />Good Luck,<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />Thanks,<br />KF

T-290

Seaman

We've had real good luck on our last trip in Minnesota with the larger Shad Raps, in Orange Color both shallow dive and deep divers! Good Luck & Tight Lines

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pike are nasty mean fish and can bite on just about anything. But, the rattling raps have done a lot of good for me, light blue/silver colors. The classic daredevil red/white spoons were always our pike standby when my dad took me out when I was a lad. I've also had really good luck with a perch colored shallow running rap over submerged weeds or near reeds. And spinner baits are always excellent for pike as well, especially in really weedy areas - white/yellow is your best bet in my experience.

smsean

Cadet

pike will eat anything when they are hungry! Big spinnerbaits, spoons, Ive even caught em on big tubes. fun fish to catch though!!!

small block

Seaman

daredevels are big producers for me also but if you really want big action try a mepps spinner with white deertail preferably a #3 or larger.try a #5 around cover and be ready!

davan2008

Recruit

hey guys and gals im from saskatchewan canada i fish alot winter and summer for big pike in june july on small lakes i cast into weed beds with a weedless hook any type usually green with orange if in a lake with few weeds i slowly drift just using a jig head usually green with a orange and yellow rubber tail for bait nothing beats bacon they cant pull it off and it stays on wen u castthey seem to bite it alot 47inch 44inch pike in one day must mean sumthin oh you would be suprised what the walleye doe with bacon and the same tackle yup canadian bacon yum yum :D

aspeck

Staff member

Have had good luck with the 5 & 7 1/2 inch rapalas and the Daredevils, but my favorite is the Welden Woobler - it is a silver weedless spoon with a small trailer blade on the back of the spoon and a trailer hook with yellow and red feathering. Will twist line like nothing else - use a swivel before your wire leader with swivel (so you are double swiveled) to keep your line from kinking too badly ... but they will kill it!

allaboutheu22

Seaman Apprentice

up at my lake, which is the sacandaga lake in upstate new york, i've caught 3 nice keepers on crankbait, throlling through 15 feet of water with long weeds coming up

Attachments

• get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 0

allaboutheu22

Seaman Apprentice

may not be very good, but still a keeper. 25 inches

Hooge

Cadet

What to use for northern pike will depend on how big of one you are looking to catch. Big northern seek out deeper water that is cooler and little northern (under 30in) will tend to stay in warmer water. I like to use these lures thunder stick, super spook, Dare devil (5 of diamonds) Rattle traps, #13 Rapla (perch, fire tiger, blue and silver, Black and silver for clear water, black and gold for murky water), #14 husky jerk, deep running Shad Raps. The one thing that I have not tried yet, but have been told it works good for deep water northern (20-30 foot) is a ?-1 Oz led head with a 8 inch reaper tail on it. You just have to remember that almost any lure you can work with an erratic behavior will work with Northern Pike

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

My best lure for Nothern Pike has been the black & white daredevil trolled along weedbeds at erratic speeds. I tend to raise the rod tip every once in a while with a quick jerk and the let out some line so the bait will slow and fall. If they're there, they hit it on the fall every time.

I've had good luck with #4 and #5 Mepps spinners, dressed and undressed, in various colors. Also had a nice one casting an x-rap on my last trip.

Pike will hit anything, but if you want to increase your chances of good hookups, find out with the local forage is and "match the hatch"

redfury

Commander

I've had great luck with the #3 Mepps Silver and hot pink double curved spoons...seem to be hard to find around here for some reason :rolleyes:

You pretty much can't go wrong with a spoon that'll give you some flash. Trolling between 1.7 and 2.0 mph seems to be best for me and I run usually in the 14ft range for water depth on the local lakes. I haven't tried to fish in the deep parts of the lake....never been taught the technique.

One thing that does really well for me if you want to sit in a spot is a big ol circle hook in the tail of a 5-6" sucker minnow on a 3 ft line with a 3 oz weight clipped on above the leader. It'll bring the minnow down to the bottom and they'll fight like mad to get away from the situation, which will draw in the northerns if they are around. Works good under a bobber too if you are in an area that is too weedy to let it sit on the bottom.

As far as trolling goes, it really just seems to me that the guy running the motor needs to know what they are looking at in the surrounding terrain, what the maps say to expect, and what the finder is telling him so that you aren't getting hung up on weeds too often and are staying in your "zone"

It's hard to do when that guys also trying to fish.

AZMinyard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I caught a 38? Northern on a 4? ultra-light rod while fishing 1.5? chartreuse curly tail jig on the end of an 18? steel leader with a bobber on top. I did this when wading in about 3 feet of reedy water, fishing for crappie.

It got really exciting, let me tell you . . .

In the end, they will hit just about anything. Depth, in my humble opinion, is more important than the lure. Pike?s eyes are on top, so you want your lure above or at their level. Of course, presentation is key as well. Vary the speed of your retrieve, like an injured fish. I have never really trolled for them, always shore fished or waded.

Best of luck!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I like to catch big northerns (call 'em snakes) while musky fishing.

I have had the best luck with #5 and musky killer Mepps, red and white Daredevls.

Son caught this 42"er on one of my customized #5 Mepps, called Esox Doom.

Attachments

• mobypike3.jpg
    mobypike3.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 0

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I think the consensus is they'll eat anything. I've caught them on tube jigs and a variety of softbaits. But, I have a 4" silver and blue spoon that when fishing is quiet, I throw out and catch a pike on every time. I call it the Blue Devil as the pike seem to just love it.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

:D Pike are crazy fish everything i have read has worked for me also...Just one note...Use a steel leader about 18" fresh water shark's..:D Serious. In the spring of the year we would use smelt in shallow murky bay's on the Missouri river up in South Dakota...the water was warm enough to get them going....I wish i post some pics of us placing the rods over our shoulder's and walking up hill trying to drag some of those big snakes out.

The steel leader is serious though there not exacly a finess type of fish...But that doesnt mean you cant...Musky guys turn it into a fine art form....;).....try placing a 8" chub over a weed bed.....carefully hooking him in the back so he can swim around a little......Use a bobber and suspend him about 2' down watch the bobber closely...any pike hanging around will make short work of it..;)

cprince

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the consensus is they'll eat anything. I've caught them on tube jigs and a variety of softbaits. But, I have a 4" silver and blue spoon that when fishing is quiet, I throw out and catch a pike on every time. I call it the Blue Devil as the pike seem to just love it.

I'm with you on the spoon! Ottawa River Pike love it! But for me nothing beats the explosion that happens when they massacre a skitter pop. The adrenalin pumps and the drag screams...

Heading out to Plaisance (The Quebec side of the Ottawa river across from Wendover/Plantagenet) .

Put this into Google Maps and hit sattelite view!

45.582701, -75.099363

Zoom out a little and behold the Musky Pit! The smaller river that feeds into the Ottawa from the south at that location is what seems to attract them... and the weed 'n feed! Bait fish galore!!

Time for some Musky hunting!
:D