how to catch leeches.. you wont beleive it..

Imperial27

Cadet
Ok guiys I have used this method and doing it once will give you a years worth.. Weight down a ball of cabbage or lettice.. Its the iron in blood that leeches are attracted to.. those vegies have alot of it.. one afternoon drop in a head of lettie into a swamp or somewhere you are able to get to and weight it down in the morning you will find tens of leeches all through the head on all the leaves.. this works very well.. downside is once you do an area leeches dont populate the area for a while so do it somewhere wher it dosent matter...<br /><br />all seriousness aside you will be very happy

NathanY

Commander
Re: how to catch leeches.. you wont beleive it..

why would anyone catch leeches?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Use them as bait Nate.<br />They are great for big suspended bluegills, perch, or walleye.<br /><br />Thanks for the tip Imperial27.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> Use them as bait Nate.<br />They are great for big suspended bluegills, perch, or walleye.<br /><br />Thanks for the tip Imperial27.
And catfish love them.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Are leeches found in most freshwater bodies of water?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Few of the waters I frequent. Atleast I rarely see them.<br />Maybe they are in more waters than I know, but they are just hiding in the rocks. ??<br /><br />Good question.

CATransplant

Admiral

I have another leech-catching technique. I just pop an 8-year-old kid in the water for half an hour or so. When you retrieve the kid, you can have him sit in the boat, and pick the leeches off as needed.<br /><br />Works a treat. Trouble is that none of my friends who have kids will let them go fishing with me any more. Can't figure it out.<br /><br />It gives new meaning to "Take a kid fishing."

sangerwaker

Commander

I'm not much of a fisherman anymore...used to with the folks when I was a kid, but Dad had a method similar to Imperial27's. He would take a cheap cut of beef, about a pound or so, and wrap it in cheesecloth in such a way that when he drove a long stick through the beef, the cheesecloth would stay on. Then he would drive that stick into the bottom of the lake, pond, or bog and leave it there for a day or two. When we came back it was loaded with leeches.

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ain't barefootin in that water Sanger!!!!<br /><br />hahaha

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Nate in AR:<br /> why would anyone catch leeches?
Because they are $20 a pound.