50HP Mercury for Trolling?

Hodor

Recruit
I have read where the Yamaha and Honda 50-60 HP outboards can troll down pretty well, but have not seen much about the new Mercury outboards. Any thoughts or experience that you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I can get down to just under 2MPH with my 115 HP Mariner at 600 to 700 RPM, same thing with a fishing buddies 90 Mariner. There should be no problem whatsoever getting down to 2 MPH on any make 50HP both 2 and 4 stroke. The key is how well idle speed is set up and how well the outboard is tuned. I have set the idle while under load to get the minimum trolling speed. It is hit and miss doing it on the muffs. Mercury should be no different than any other makes.

I just noticed this is your first post, welcome to iboats Hodor, the best boating forum bar none. Hang around, you will thank yourself. I will hold the door for you.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Don?t see why there would be a problem trolling with new merc?s. You can always install a trolling plate if you want to troll real slow.

Won't that just carb up the eng. I have a 26 ft bayliner and use a 15hp honda 4 stroke for my kicker and that carbs up after 2 hour. have to rev it up to clean it out.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have trolled with 2 stroke 235 hp Johnson and no problems.----Parts and pieces do not know if they are in a big motor or little motor

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
If your 15hp Honda is ?carbing up? after 2 hours trolling, that shouldn?t be happening. That motor should be able to troll slowly all day with out problem. I?ve trolled with my 90hp merc for 4 or 5 hours with no ill effects at all.