Anyone still treating tackle with scents?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
We were talking about this yesterday as we prepare to hit the first soft water Monday. I used to religiously spray scent on my baits and have stopped for some reason. I don't know if it worked but do know I think I used to catch more fish than I do now. In fact I have a tray up front that holds 4 bottles of concoctions I bought or made at home with Oil of Anise and other secret sauces. Garlic salt infused tubes isn't such a secret anymore.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I use anise when I get the chance to find the good stuff, real extract. Walleye love it drizzled on a crawler.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I use anise when I get the chance to find the good stuff, real extract. Walleye love it drizzled on a crawler.

Here in Ontario I am fairly sure you can still get the good stuff over the counter from the Pharmacist. I will ask when I go today. If anything it will mask human scent both natural and unnatural.

fishrdan

Admiral
I use anise when I get the chance to find the good stuff, real extract.

Try Ebay, pretty cheap place to buy it.

If anything it will mask human scent both natural and unnatural.

That's why I use it. I fish with huge lures and take a rolled up piece of paper towel (1x3"), dip it into the anise bottle, and toss them into the lure box compartments to scent the lures. Every 6 months I'll dip the paper towel pieces again, keeps the lures nice and stinky, or at least enough to mask my stinky...

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Try Ebay, pretty cheap place to buy it.

That's why I use it. I fish with huge lures and take a rolled up piece of paper towel (1x3"), dip it into the anise bottle, and toss them into the lure box compartments to scent the lures. Every 6 months I'll dip the paper towel pieces again, keeps the lures nice and stinky, or at least enough to mask my stinky...

Great idea, going to use that this season, thanks.

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
I used to use a product called "Bang" . It's an anise scented spray on that has worked well for rainbow trout. Stocked fish mostly. I doubt it's the end all, be all scent but at least it doesn't stink your hands up. lol A buddy, who without question is the most patient fisherman I've ever fished with, used to combine scent baits. Pouring whatever into the same bottle. Ended up looking like peanut butter and smelling like garlic. He called it super sauce. It caught a lot of catfish, I'll say that

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I use ProCure scents. They make probably 30 or more different scents. I use it on lures trolling for trout and salmon and trolling for striped bass. I even use it on some baits. Like when fishing bait such cut sardines, anchovies, chicken livers (chicken livers are actually quite effective for strippers in the California Delta). I will put sardine or anise, or other scents of the bait. Scents work. How well who knows but my success has improved since using scents and in any event it sure can't hurt.

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been using Liquid Mayhem, Made with real minnows, crawfish, shad, ect.... I used the Walleye scent that is made with real minnows, I LOVE this stuff.... I figured it is an extra perk I can give my lures weather it works or not, why take the chance. I always wonder what if I would have had scent before.... would I have caught more fish??? Who knows and I would rather put it on to be safe then always wondering what if...

www.liquidmayhem.ca