cold water bass

88evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
any of you guys like to bass fish when the temps drop. i really like bass fishing in the cold as it forces me to slow down and fish things i normally wouldnt.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I like to bass fish in most any temperature. But I haven't fished for bass in a few years because my boat isn't finished yet. However, bass in cold water have to be seriously coaxed to take your offering. You have to near about put it in their mouths. They don't seem to want to go after the bait. JMHO

88evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I like to bass fish in most any temperature. But I haven't fished for bass in a few years because my boat isn't finished yet. However, bass in cold water have to be seriously coaxed to take your offering. You have to near about put it in their mouths. They don't seem to want to go after the bait. JMHO
ive always liked the challenge that comes with cold water as well

88evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so far a hair jig is working the best

Attachments

• cd3.jpg
    cd3.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
  • cd6.jpg
    cd6.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you can find a thermocline and fish it, your changes go way up. Enticing is what it takes. Either hit them in the head with your presentation or make it so easy for them to take. They are a lot slower in cold water...as I would certainly be as well. Their system doesn't react like when they are in warmer waters. But they still can be caught. Just a lot more patience is needed. But any type fishing is way better then no fishing at all. JMHO

aspeck

Staff member
I will generally switch to walleye when it gets cold, or lake trout, or stripers. Then if I catch a bass while trying to hang any of the others, it is just a bonus!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I will generally switch to walleye when it gets cold, or lake trout, or stripers. Then if I catch a bass while trying to hang any of the others, it is just a bonus!

No, no, no, no, Aspect. If you are fishing for a Trout or a Stripper, or even a Walleye and catch a Bass, you immediately announce, loud enough for others to hear you, that you were fishing for Bass. You know the fisherman's rules. :facepalm.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You guys are lucky to have such a range of species to fish! Around here in fresh water its trout and more trout, year round. Are any of those other species good eating?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You guys are lucky to have such a range of species to fish! Around here in fresh water its trout and more trout, year round. Are any of those other species good eating?

Well I can't say for other areas, but in my area, Bass, Crappie, Bream (blue gills, yellow breast, redear, etc.), Catfish, some even like Strippers and White Bass, are all eating fish. Totally depends on your taste. Crappie is probably the most eaten species. Large mouth Bass can get gamy if they are large. JMHO

88evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well id recommend fishing for bass for their sporting quality they have an off taste to me. alot of people like catfish and while its ok its not the best to me. crappie are pretty good eating.my all time favorite is butter fried trout.

88evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ive never specifically fished for any of those but if i were to catch a walleye it finds its way into a frying pan if its legal.ive only caught a hand full of stripers.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Walleye are catch-fillet-release fish. wish we had them down here

fishing bass in cold water usually involves bouncing the lure over the fish and snagging it. if you can get them to bite, thats fantastic.

aspeck

Staff member

Yes, yes and yes! Walleye are about the best eating fish you will ever taste. It is firm and mild, just delicious. Trout is good as long as it is not recently stocked (enjoy the lake trout). Catfish is a pain to clean, but tasty, especially blackened or breaded and deep fried. Bluegill, perch, crappie ... yum! Fried in a cornmeal coating, or baked in butter ... delicious. Stripers ... yep ... just be sure to cut out the red fat line when filleting. That red line is strong, but take that away and you have a good tasting fish. Oh so many more fish to catch and eat! YUM! Okay, forget the turkey, now I need to get the motor put together and get out on the water and catch some fish! Maybe on Monday if I don't see any deer I can hook some fish!

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Tip-up and a sucker minnow. Very good table fare in winter. At least large mouths..... Oh, and I like a minimum of 6" of ice.....:D

MRS

Commander
Fish deep water and jig slooooowwww. over some kind of structure rock, humps, logs, channels.

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer
My experience with bass in colder water temps is not only are they hard to get them on the line, once you do they just swim toward the boat. No real fight in them when they are cold. Bass fishing in June or July when the water is warm gives some excitement to the experience :)