Is Side View worth it-input much appreciated!

Lowelifer

Recruit
Hello,
I am looking at the Lowrance Elite 5 HDI which is $200 with rebates or the Hummingbird 698ci HD SI for $225 with rebates. Elite comes with maps but 698 has side image. The Hummingbird seems like a lot of bang for the buck. Lowrance might be easier to see and use? I only fish fresh water down here in the MO Ozarks. Thanks!

MRS

Commander
I wondered the same thing I do not understand how it works so have not got one. I would think in shallow water might be helpful but hopefully some one here will reply to you.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Have a look at the technologicalangler website,....

He has some videos and tutorials there and on youtube that might help you figure out how it all works and what you want,..

SHOTGUN RUSS

Seaman
I used side imaging as a main tool for fishing, it is extremely valuable. There is big learning curve in understanding how it works and how to interpret what you are seeing. I would not recommend a screen smaller than 8" to start reaping the full benefits. Also the different brands have strong and weak points to their side imaging. Doug Varhenburg (for humminbird) has the most info out there with his youtube site from advanced settings to basics of operation. I took a full winter ( 6 months) researching and looking at images to get a basic idea of what side imaging can do. This is not a plug and play technology, but can be a valuable tool.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
If I had to fully understand how all this new technology really works I would still be using a rotary phone. I can say get the largest screen your budget will allow for any sonar/GPS. As far as side imaging I have used my pals and it is very valuable depending on what type of structure you fish above. I caught on after a few hours of playing with it. I explain it as having a wide angle lens on your camera to get a wide angle shot under the boat. I don't need it here on Lake Erie as we don't fish structure for trolling for Walleye or Trout and Salmon, for Bass yes it would be fantastic. It is more about finding suspended fish not sitting on bottom for us so down imaging is all I really need. For the prices you quote you can't go wrong, but get the biggest size screen you can afford.