Looking for advice on Bait cast reels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jparm13

Cadet
Hello everyone!
I?m a first time buyer for a bait cast reel.
I?m looking for something under $100 but I don?t want to buy junk
Does anyone have ideas for some specs that are important to look for and does anyone have recommendations?
I?m bass fishing on the northern Mississippi river
All contributions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MRS

Commander
I would go to maybe bass pro or cabelas if you have one near you and look and hold them. See what feels good in your hands l like round reels but that is what I grew up with. Many brand name reels at 100.00 or less do not give up on trying to learn how to use it

gm280

Supreme Mariner
jparm13, If you've never used a bait cast reel before, I'd suggest buying one or more used ones off EBay first. WHY? Because they are very cheap and then you can try a few without a lot of funds expended and learn what you like and what works the best for you. I will say, they don't cast like any other type reel. You literally have to learn how to cast them. But once you do, you will love them and their capabilities.

The first thing you have to do is set up the reel. And that is true for any type bait casting reel. You have to use the proper weight lure as well. Some reels will cast lighter lures while others have to use heavier weighted lures.So select the proper line and lure that works for your reel. Next you click the release and allow the lure to drop to the ground while holding the rod horizontal to the ground. Once the lure hits the ground the reel should stop spinning as well. If it continues, there is too little load for that reel. So you tighten the reel until it stops spinning when the lure hits the ground. Now you adjusted that reel for that weight lure. Then you cast releasing at a different point then other closed faced reels. That will have to be trial and error on your part. Experiment with your release point until you see how that works. You back swing to load the rod and then use the release point from your experience. It takes a little time, but once you sort of master that technique, you will be amazed at the accurate and distance you can cast.

Check EBay for such reels and buy a few cheaply first. I have bought a lot of them and not one was a disappointment for me. JMHO

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I like round reels for catfishing with heavy baits and low profile reels for casting for bass and pike. I am right handed but like to use a left handed reel so I dont need to switch hands to cast and reel. But when your reel is properly set up as mentioned above by gm280 it is easy to cast left handed as well so as not to limit yourself on position and cover. For round reels I only have experience with a cheap Diawa trolling reel with line counter and a couple abu garcia c 3 c 4 and my favorite a record 61 and I have had a bass pro low profile that was sweet ( that's the one I learned on) and a abu garcia revo. That last one casts a spinner bait like an ultra light spinning reel with a slip bobber set up as in effortless, accurate and superb distance.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
No matter which reel you get, be sure to get your casting thumb calibrated. That's the most important thing. :lol:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
jparm13, yesterday when I was on EBay, I looked at the selection of used bait-caster reels. I was amazed at the numbers of them and the cheap cost. Yes they are used, but with lots of quality ball bearing reels to select from. I certainly would buy a couple and try them before buying a top notch new reel for hundreds of dollar. Most of the used reels were around $20 to $40 dollars. So buy a couple and start learning. JMHO

jparm13

Cadet
Hi everyone. Lots of useful advise here, thank you for the contributions. I have used baitcasts with my uncle. Musky fishing with 9 foot poles and massive lures is not new to me, but setting up and maintaining my own equipment is. I like the idea of finding something on ebay, which I will follow through with. I can start off there and see which things i like/dont like. Again, thank you all!

Pusher

Lieutenant
I didn't know about backloading the rod. Thanks for that nugget :)

I'd suggest buying braided line. The mono with memory can really KILL your casting and patience. I find it cheaper to run too.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Buy any brand bait caster you wish as long as it says Shimano on it. For a $100.00 budget buy a good Shimano used. I don't buy any reels on line, so much can be bad on them, I want to feel it in my hand and try it first. Try looking at the classified on local Fishing forums where you can go to someone's place and try it first. Easier said than done, I know. Many cheap out on Bait Casters then say they aren't any good, a good reel is night and day difference. Bump up your budget at least 75 bucks for a mid level Shimano.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Pusher, Yes all rods will back load to assist in casting. In fact if back loading didn't happen, a fly caster rod would never work. With fly fishing you actually throw the line, not the lure. To see how much back loading helps, try casting using any rod very slowly and see what happens. So the rod is part of a matched fishing setup with rod, reel, lure and line. JMHO

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've always wondered about bait casting reels. Can you cast a light bait like a small worm any distance? I always use a closed face spinning reel, will a bait casting reel cast farther?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I've always wondered about bait casting reels. Can you cast a light bait like a small worm any distance? I always use a closed face spinning reel, will a bait casting reel cast farther?

Yes, once you master the fine art of casting them, accuracy and distance does happen. But the learning curve doesn't take long. And before you start, understand you will get occasional "professional over-run" or more precisely put, birds nests. But as you keep practicing, those occasional birds nests will get further and further apart and stop. Usually when you get birds nests, the reel's bearing loads are not tight enough or you have the magnetic drag set too loose. I will say, I can easily feel subtle hits on a level wind, bait-cast reel way better then a closed face reel. And that is a huge benefit in my opinion. Also, I find I have better control feathering out the cast when I turn the rod and reel on it's side to cast. JMHO

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I might give it a try this spring, I always thought they were for heavy lures. Usually up here most people use bait and maybe a bobber, unless trolling in a boat. The only freshwater fish we have here are trout and they are usually small brook trout in most ponds, larger browns in some ponds and seatrout near saltwater.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Just remember when unsnarling a line tangle to pull the lure into the boat by hand before starting. Ya don't want something like this happening. Ask me how I know! :facepalm: :lol:

image2.jpg

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 0

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What kind of fish is that and whats the story?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
It's a largemouth bass and that exact same thing happened to me when I was fishing Long Lake near Spokane, WA in 1984. (The pic is from the 'net and not mine.)

I was fishing some lily pads with a frog lure and on one cast I got a big ol' snarl. I grumbled to myself, sat down and started to work the tangle. I noticed a movement out of the corner of my eye, looked up and saw a big bass coming up on that frog. Before I could move, the fish grabbed that lure and with a big splash started heading deep! I tried to grab the line but it was all mixed in with the tangled mess and I was unsuccessful. Yeah... the fish got away! Doh! :facepalm: :lol:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I love Bass fishing with a plastic worm rig and a bait-caster setup. That is my all time favorite Bass fishing setup. I can't talk about the one(s) that got away. Too painful. :blue:

Pusher

Lieutenant
I just started using weedless frogs. They are awesome! My family hit the needing season just right a few years back and caught a bass every cast. I haven't been able to time that season right since. Man that was a good week!

Cabela's and ****'s both have a spend $xxx amount and get$xxx amount off your purchase going. They might be able to beat cheapbay's prices. I haven't been able to use the two bait caters I purchased yet or I would give some advice.

My favorite setup is bottom bouncing with a spin glow for steelies.... But this is a bad thread ;-)

Come to think of it, when you first start you might want to use heavier weighted lures until you dial in your system, then go lighter. It helped me manage the bird nesting. Floating rapalla's were nearly the death of me.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
A beginner should start by using heavy lures to learn how to toss a bait caster. Then when you have the brakes and bearings set up and you learn to thumb the spool and don't get a Carbuncklement go to a bit lighter weight. You don't need to wait until spring, just tie on a weight, set the reel up so when the weight drops to the ground it stops spooling out line then go to the park and cast away. You will get funny looks from folks walking their dog in the middle of winter. Don't catch the dog, they will chase the weight, long story

88evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ill throw my 2 cents in. first off id highly recommend an aluminum framed reel. ive broken more graphite frames than id like to mention.id also recommend you buy a reel with a good history such as the shimano curado.

Status
Not open for further replies.