Back on the water

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I posted this in my build thread over in the Starcraft section but figured it would be of interest here too.

After 8 months of my ill health, I was finally able to get back on the water yesterday with my family!

I missed two bass because I'm out of practice with the hookset.

But we slayed the bluegill! Kept the biggest and the dozen fish we brought home weighed almost 8 pounds! The largest of those fish weighed 15 ounces. Not too shabby!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I am very happy to hear you are feeling better. That video put a smile on my face and got a chuckle out of me. It's funny but no one absolutely no one that I have ever heard of at least keeps Blue Gill here in Ontario. Just some US visitors. We are loaded with them too. The only pan fish are Perch and Crappie. And in the states it's a go to species.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I am very happy to hear you are feeling better. That video put a smile on my face and got a chuckle out of me. It's funny but no one absolutely no one that I have ever heard of at least keeps Blue Gill here in Ontario. Just some US visitors. We are loaded with them too. The only pan fish are Perch and Crappie. And in the states it's a go to species.
We don't have Yellow Perch down here but I've had them when I lived up north. We do have some nice Crappie and other panfish here in addition to the big Bluegill. Not uncommon to catch Crappie of 2 pounds or better on a regular basis down here. Bluegill that size are also fairly common.

The thing with Bluegill is that the flesh is very sweet, almost like a touch of sugar has been added. Much better tasting and firmer than Crappie. Perch is good too and when I lived up north we kept pretty much all the panfish if they were keeper sized.

On the day of the video, I'd gotten two largemouth bass bites earlier using a Johnson Silver Minnow with a 3" white curly tailed grub trailer. Just couldn't get hooked up though. Dangit! And the record bass for that lake is over 15 pounds. After cruising around trying for bass for a couple more hours we finally pulled under that bridge so my wife and boy could get some panfish and get out of the sun. I've also caught bass there but it was pretty late and hot by the time we anchored up that day so no bass action. We've caught Crappie there as well but that was in much cooler weather. Water temps here are in the upper 80s to mid 90s now. Normal for this time of year.

It's our current favorite lake so we'll hit it again this year for sure! :fish2:

Oh yeah... we also have those dinosaur fish! :eek: :lol:

This is from a year ago.