Removable Depth Finder for Deck Boat?

jwdavis28

Seaman
Just purchased a 2016 Tahoe 215 Xi Deck Boat. Added the trolling motor as we like to fish as well. Here is the issue. I have the in dash depth meter in the helm but that does me very little good on the trolling motor. The trolling motor has a quick disconnect so that I can remove it for more passengers and water sports.

How do I set up a fish finder to be removable like the trolling motor?

Appreciate the input!

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are you talking about a depth gauge or a fish finder?

For a fish finder, you can mount a transducer on the trolling motor and mount the FF head where you can see it while fishing. Power the FF from the TM battery.

The FF has plug(s) for power and the transducer on the back, so when the TM is removed, the FF can be removed as well.

jwdavis28

Seaman
Are you talking about a depth gauge or a fish finder?

For a fish finder, you can mount a transducer on the trolling motor and mount the FF head where you can see it while fishing. Power the FF from the TM battery.

The FF has plug(s) for power and the transducer on the back, so when the TM is removed, the FF can be removed as well.

So just mount the fish finder on a permanent base and remove it and the cables when removing the trolling motor?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That will work. I can't think of ant FF's that don't have power and transducer plugs on the back. Unplug them, coil the transducer cable and stow all of it away.

MRS

Commander
Ugh. they are all removable just unplug from back of unit and take with you. Mount ff on a bracket and plug in transducer to back of ff. That is the way mine are all hooked up. Maybe I do not under stand what you are saying.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Just use a large Tridon clamp and mount the transducer under the prop assembly of the trolling motor. Mount the sonar base to the gunnel permanently and unplug and remove the screen when done. The same as explained above. It's done that way by thousands of fisherman, probably hundreds of thousands.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Just use a large Tridon clamp and mount the transducer under the prop assembly of the trolling motor. Mount the sonar base to the gunnel permanently and unplug and remove the screen when done. The same as explained above. It's done that way by thousands of fisherman, probably hundreds of thousands.

Yep.....

jwdavis28

Seaman
ordered the sonar today. will do exactly as you have described. many thanks!