Fish finder

Bkok33

Seaman
I am looking into buying a fish finder for my Bayliner and was wondering what you recommend. I am wanting one that works will but my wife won't kill me with how much I spend on it.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
What is your budget. A combo Hummingbird is a great sonar/GPS for less than $500.00 here in Canada. Less in the US. Simple to use and does what you will need. As the screen gets bigger the price goes up.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You need to know what you are wanting to use it for, for starters. Once you know that, then buy one that covers all the issue that YOU think are important. Others can offer ideas all day long. But the final decision is what you want. Most any newer type Fish Finders/Depth Locators/GPS units these days do a pretty good job. As long as you stay with reputable companies, you can't go wrong. If you merely want to see the bottom contour, anything on the market will be good. If you want to see any and all possible fish, then it gets into power and sensitivity capabilities. So either post what you want it for and we can reply further. Or go looking in the sporting good sores and play around with what is on display. They will offer assistance as well. JMHO!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yep, you can spend anywhere from $80 - Thousands..... Set a budget and get the best bang for your buck....

Bkok33

Seaman
So I am wanting a depth and fish finder. I will be using it in the Lake I live by. I am wanting to stay under $500. My wife might kill me if I spend more. If she had her way I would spend $100.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Bkok33, with that budget limit, you can easily buy a lot of different types that offer all the options you seem to want. Again, I have been searching the net and stopping to view every Fish Finders/Depth locator that are available. And a lot of those sites have interesting features to view. Then you can see what you like and the cost as well. Once you narrow them down, then proceed to hands on in the Sporting Goods store. Some time actually seeing them makes all the difference. And going in knowing some of their features and probable costs can be to your benefit. I am partial to Lowrance and like their systems. But others would go Hummingbird. while still others like Garmin or Raymarine. So most any popular manufactured system will give you what you seem to want. I have used both Lowrance and Hummingbird without any issues. JMHO!

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I got a Lowrance Elite 4 Chirp for around $350. It has a chart plotter so you don't get lost. Its also a speedometer and does the depth with an alarm you can set at different settings so you don't run a ground :)

Its also a fish finder......

Last edited:

Bkok33

Seaman
Thanks 82rude, my wife will love the price of it. I will look into it and research it.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Just remember too much research can leave you baffled,lol.Its a small slim screen,but does well for me.It works better than and has more functions than my old 500 dollar lowrance.Is there better?You bet,but not for that price.