Rod and reel combo

rob123p

Cadet
Hi guys, I'm trying to set up two combos. One for single hook action and one for treble hooks. I'm thinking of using a medium rod with moderate action for crankbaits and heavy rod with fast action for worm baits/single hook. I'm also thinking of using a 5.4:1 ratio on the medium mostly thinking that the slow retrieve will allow my crank to get deeper and work without risking that I bring it up too fast. For the heavy I'm thinking of using a 7.1:1 ration mostly for fishing faster. How do you guys feel about this?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What are you fishing for?
How heavy are your baits

The higher the gear ratio, the lower the torque.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Overthinking for most purposes...

I do as well with the $19.95 combo from Wal-Mart as people buying $120 rods with $90 reels...

Its more about how you use the rod and what bait/lure than the rod and reel.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
If your only going to have 2 rigs....my thought are is get the BEST you can afford. One 7' medium action spinning rod and one 7' medium heavy bait casting rod. Purchase the reels you want for each.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Overthinking for most purposes...

I do as well with the $19.95 combo from Wal-Mart as people buying $120 rods with $90 reels...

Its more about how you use the rod and what bait/lure than the rod and reel.

How true to a point but that would be no fun.I must say though its a lot easier losing a 40 dollar combo over the side of the boat vs a 200 dollar or more combo.Blasted carpel tunnel!

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Simple prevention vs rod loss if you know you have an issue:

Appx 15 ft of para-cord lashed to the rod and snap-linked to a hard point on the boat or your belt (hard point is better...)

82rude

Rear Admiral
Simple prevention vs rod loss if you know you have an issue:

Appx 15 ft of para-cord lashed to the rod and snap-linked to a hard point on the boat or your belt (hard point is better...)

LOL I thought of that later on.At the time I didn't realize that it was that bad its all good now.If I was 30 years younger I that rod and reel wouldn't of made it 5 feet down I would of been on it that fast as it was all I could do was watch it sink gently to the bottom 30 feet down.I loved that combo:grumpy:

88evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys, I'm trying to set up two combos. One for single hook action and one for treble hooks. I'm thinking of using a medium rod with moderate action for crankbaits and heavy rod with fast action for worm baits/single hook. I'm also thinking of using a 5.4:1 ratio on the medium mostly thinking that the slow retrieve will allow my crank to get deeper and work without risking that I bring it up too fast. For the heavy I'm thinking of using a 7.1:1 ration mostly for fishing faster. How do you guys feel about this?
ok it depends on what you want to spend for each and what your looking for. i myself would be looking into a 7 ft to 7ft 6'' med heavy baitcasting setup with heavy floro for fishing worms jigs etc... unless your fishing in super thick cover then id bump it up to a heavy or extra heavy rod. for a reel id suggest a 6.3:1 or a 7.2:1 ratio. for instance my heavy heavy cover rig is a quantum kinetic pt 6.3:1 on a duckett extra heavy with 20 lb floro. this combo is over kill for most cases. my other preferred bottom bouncing bait rig is a shimano curado 200hg on a 7' med heavy clarus rod with 17lb floro this rig will cover a majority of situations. now for a treble bait lure/ spinnerbait rig i prefer a 6'6'' to 7' medium action rod with a fast tip because i want the tip to load up. one of the rods i use is a all star 7' medium with 10-14 lb floro or mono depending on the lure used. i pair this rod with a quantum kinetic pt in 6.3:1. i prefer this ratio because i can still throw a deep diving crankbait up to a 3/8 ounce spinner bait and just about everything in between. i could go on for along time but ill try not to unless your interested in other combos.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
You really are overthinking this. Single hook vs. treble hook? Determine your purpose and budget and go from there. There are differences for sure from a worm rod to a crankbait rod. A fast tip vs. a slow soft tip. It's all in preference really. I won't get into parabolic curves in rods, it's a science but not rocket science. And marketing in fishing tackle is a huge business. Every year it a new and improved this Rappala Flutter Flugle Flash plug and that Shimmer Bait Ball Live Target 20 buck plug you absolutely must have. Super lines are the real deal and I love them. That doesn't mean Mono no longer is viable in certain situations. I only use Mono for my downrigger reels with flouro leaders.

I really never thought there could be much difference between a 30 buck Shimano rear drag XL Quickfire (my all time favorite) and a 300 buck Shimano whatever spinning reel. I still don't as I have used both. I find the difference in reels for quality and value are the baitcasters. If you are making 10 casts a minute a cheap reel will drive you nuts and wear out your arm and elbow. A good quality Calais or Currado baitcasters can be cast all day and you won't tire. I have XL's that are 27 years old and are still work horses. Actually she's retired now. Anything from Perch to Musky these XL's have battled and won. Smooth drags and are unbreakable. Some newer models the spools are not removable. I have an XL 1500 going on 10 years that has never been cleaned and oiled. Go figure. A XL 1500 was $29.99 in WalMart in 89', they are 35 bucks here in Ontario now. I can go on about value vs. performance, the proof is in the pudding.

Rob the faster the retrieve the deeper the crankbait will path. Line diameter is as important as retrieve. The thinner the line the least resistance= deeper run.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I really never thought there could be much difference between a 30 buck Shimano rear drag XL Quickfire (my all time favorite) and a 300 buck Shimano whatever spinning reel. I still don't as I have used both.
Huge difference if you give your reels a good workout on a regular basis.

We use 2XXX and 3XXX series reels light tackle jigging (LTJ) for Stripers. You don't stand a chance with a "disposable" reel. The drags washers don't have nearly enough surface to dissipate the heat, they expand, lock up and snap...there goes that fish of a lifetime. The structural integrity of these reels are suspect as well. I've seen side covers distort, locking of the gear assembly. I've seen reel stems twist. This is why i recommend staying away from carbon bodied spinning reels. Under heavy use, they last maybe a season, at best.

High dollar reels are not necessarily the solution either. While a $800 Shimano 3000 Stella is a nice reel, a Shimano 3000 Symetre offers similar performance for under $100.

I have an Okuma AV-30 ($40) that has lived thru 7 season now but I have to put new drag washers in it every season. I've had to replaced the pinion baring as well.
[/QUOTE]