Baitcasting reel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Hardly....."best 2 cycle oil" debates are never based upon a verifiable performance metric. Mostly opinions based upon frugality and circumstantial evidence at best.

On the other hand, there are pretty clear cut winners and losers when comparing reel types. Of course, there will always be that guy that claims he caught the biggest fish of his life using a Snoppy reel, therefore.....lol
As an Engineer I can't predict performance or calculate economics unless the results are quantifyable with hard numbers.

The best oil can be "compared" based on plug fouling or degree of smoke, which are subjective. Reel "performance" is also subjective because you are comparing "feel" or length of cast or number of rats nests.

I still like my Chevy better than a Ford...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
As an Engineer I can't predict performance or calculate economics unless the results are quantifyable with hard numbers.
Reel "performance" is also subjective because you are comparing "feel" or length of cast or number of rats nests.

Feel and bird?s nest are not measures of performance.

There is no ?feel? to a reel. A reel will affect how a rod feels in one?s hand, but only as a function of weight and balance. My success or failure as a custom rod builder depends on matching the rod to the reel to remove any effects of ?feel? from the equation.

Bird?s nests are relative to the user?s skill level. They are not a measures of performance.

Distance and drag pressures are certainly quantifiable measures of performance. Both are heavily favored towards casting reels by their inherent design. The world record distance for conventional (278.96m) and spinning reels (256.26m) is held by the same person. His spinner record is almost 25 meters less than conventional. Subjective or quantifiable performance?

As I noted above, spinners are good tool in a number of situations. I use them in a couple of applications, but they have their limitations, as do conventional reels.

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can't believe a baitcaster outdistanced a spinning reel! Not in MY world! Regardless how it's set up...a baitcaster ALWAYS has more inherent friction! Can anyone 'splain this?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Obviously folks, different folks like different type reels. Otherwise explain the huge numbers of reels on the market. So if you like a Bait Caster, or a Spinning reel or even a Zebco 202, or 33 Closed Face reel, go for whatever YOU like. Nobody is stating one if better then the other. And if somebody is proposing that, it means that is THEIR preference only! I use some of all of them myself. Yes, even some Zebco 33's too! There are times and places for them all. IMHO! :thumb:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I have a large supply of both types, in many situations they are interchangeable, both could work well, it would just be personal preference or what's handy. In other situations one style may have distinct advantages, but they could both still be used to get the job done. Different regions tend to use each type in different ways, and due to local traditions may use one or the other type and believe it's the only way to do it.

There are always online line wars between the two groups as to which style is better, I take no position on it, they are just tools, use the one you need at the time.

The cost of a good reel can seem high, the cost of a very good reel will seem extreme. If you only use it in fresh water for relatively small fish, a low cost reel can last for many years, in salt water it wouldn't be good enough to catch the bait on one trip.

foodfisher

Captain
I can't believe a baitcaster outdistanced a spinning reel! Not in MY world! Regardless how it's set up...a baitcaster ALWAYS has more inherent friction! Can anyone 'splain this?
The loops coming off the spool create friction settling into the straight running eyes costing distance.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There are ways to mitigate the friction with spinning reels. But you have to take the rod blank you like and the spinning reel you like and then place the eyes at the proper distance and settings to get the best out of them. I've built a few rods and know the setup. But honestly, unless you're into tournament fishing with your livelihood on the line, why worry about it? Fishing for me is a relaxing pleasurable issue and I certainly look at it that way. If it ever gets more then that, I'm finished! JMHO!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
There are ways to mitigate the friction with spinning reels. But you have to take the rod blank you like and the spinning reel you like and then place the eyes at the proper distance and settings to get the best out of them.
It's funny that you say that.

The layout of the Fuji Concept design is reel specific taking into the account the sweep angle, spool diameter and the length of the stem. I'm amazed at the number of rods on the market and their popularity with anglers considering that the "concept" here is making people's pocket lighter w/o any discernible improvement in performance.

The secret to a better casting spinning reel is the spool diameter. The larger the diameter, the less friction created, thus the increased popularity of large diameter spool reels like those first marketed by US Reel. Most of the other reel companies have since followed suit with large diameter spooled reels of their own. Some companies have gone as far as to plate the lip of the spool with exotic metals claiming less friction which I file that under BS. Especially when it's plated with a trademarked material no one has heard of before.

Regardless how it's set up...a baitcaster ALWAYS has more inherent friction! Can anyone 'splain this?
Pretty easy.... that is an incorrect assumption....lol

My 6500 Mag Elite will free spool in excess of 90 seconds. I've yet to see a spinner that would free spool at all. ;)

The spool of a casting reel floats on bearings and the line leaves the spool at a right angle. On the other hand, the line of a spinner leaves at a right angle to the spool (increased friction) then passes over the edge of the spool which creates more friction. Add to that the friction introduced by the large coils of line passing thru the guides. All and all a very inefficient means of casting

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I use baitcasters for Musky and Northerns and spinning for everything else....

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
As easy as line peels off of a full spinning reel spool....off the END of the spool...I can't see something that has to pull the spool with it ( regardless how smooth the bearings)... being LESS friction! And how about those new "micro" guides. That can't help in the friction department! What exactly is the point there? Other than they look stupid!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
JimS I have a Pflueger Summit casting reel and it is one of my favorites. On a 7' Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier rods I've been able to throw as light as 3/16 oz. jig spinners with a plastic trailer on it with exceptional accuracy. I also have a 30+ year old Ryobi 5000V that I use all the time and it's just as smooth as the as the $150.00 newer reels I own. I also own a couple of cheap casting reels that I feel are only good for trolling or bottom fishing for big cats.

Then again I have a Bass Pro Shops Extreme 6' light action 1/16oz to 1/4oz with an ultralight reel that I just love throwing #5 Rapalas with. It's a blast hooking a 28"-30" pike on it with just 6lb. mono.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
As easy as line peels off of a full spinning reel spool....off the END of the spool...I can't see something that has to pull the spool with it ( regardless how smooth the bearings)... being LESS friction!
If the line is pulling the spool, why do you get over runs on the conventional and not a spinner?

The loading of the blank in the backstroke stores kinetic energy in the spool. The stored kinetic energy is then released in the form of spool momentum while the payload is in flight. In effect, the line is ?pushed? off the spool for a good portion of its flight. The trick is to match the speed of the spool with the forward momentum of the payload as closely as possible to minimize the drag.
Casting reels are typically outfitted with some sort of centrifugal spool braking to decelerate the spool overtime. Advanced casting reels take this to the extreme using magnetically induced eddie currents and a means to maintain / adjust the spool speeds during flight.

And how about those new "micro" guides. That can't help in the friction department! What exactly is the point there? Other than they look stupid![/QUOTE]
A micro guides are multipurpose. They reduce the weight of the blank (increased sensitivity) and they give the line a lower center of gravity (less radial torque) relative to the center axis of the blank.
Adding weight to a blank dampens its natural frequency. The closer the weight to the end of the blank, the less sensitive they become.
Micro guide also reduce stress on the blank. The closer you can keep the line to the center axis of the blank, the less radial torque generated. Radial torque is typically not an issue with a spinning rod but the effects on a casting rod can be substantial.

On the other hand, wave guides do help. They remove most of coils and help smooth the line at the collector guide instead of dragging coils of line all the way down the blank. I do not like the guides because they are more prone to damage

URL]

URL]

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
I go back and forth between spinner and bait caster depending on how I'm fishing. I find the bait caster is best for dragging crank baits and generally prefer the spinning reel for top waters and small spinners. When I'm worming I could go either way.

Same here..It just depends on the water I'm fishin ,what I'm fishin for and if I'm trolling or not.

88evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i love my shimano curados and citicas. i will say spinning reels have a place in the boat but for the type of fishing i do the baitcaster is king. i will say if your going to buy a baitcaster shy away from the lower end stuff like the graphite reels they dont last. for about a 125 up you can get a solid aluminum reel. then comes the fun of adding aftermarket bearings, new spools, and handles :peace:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to admit, I love bass fishing and using jelly worms rigged Texas style. And therefore I love using bait caster reels to allow me to feel the line through my fingers as I retrieve to detect subtle hits. I know I couldn't do that with a spinning type setup. But I also use spinning reels for pitch and jig fishing for Crappie. So I have some of all. And yes, even closed face reels as well.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
for about a 125 up you can get a solid aluminum reel. then comes the fun of adding aftermarket bearings, new spools, and handles :peace:
I much prefer solid brass reels....but yes, hot rodding is fun. So much so I turned it to a business.....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.