Downriggers

Franknunes

Cadet
I got a birds nest on one of my uni troll cannon downriggers,does anyone know how to remove spool from downrigger!!Thanks

Franknunes

Cadet
I am taking it the best way to get nest out is to cut wire and put new terminator on,but was looking for advice before I do this

sam am I

Commander
Don't know how to take off the spool on a cannon. It probably comes off the spindle with a nut or something pretty easy though but can also cut the wire out in place with with some stout wire cutters and go back with new. The old stuff now has, and as you most likely know, undoubtedly has some permanent'ish kinks in it to that'll just make life tougher down the road........i.e., it'll be catching itself as it pays out.

So different topic but, relating to birds nests and the like........

Have you tried to run braid? I spooled one rigger up this fall and ran it, seemed to run okay through the water but one thing I didn't like, well two, the $$price$$ to benefit/s gain wasn't all that tremendous, non that smacked me in the head anyway. And it tended to bunch up on itself paying in and then sometimes fall off its bunching hump ( I made that up for lack of a better term) creating loose loops in amongst the normal tighter coils........

Then when paying out with loose loops, when a loose loop when come around, the weight would of course drop fairly rapidly snapping out the slack these loose loops made..........I took it off after a few trips

Last edited:

Franknunes

Cadet
What I was thinking,funny thing is,is I cannot figure out how to remove spool, I believe I have enough wire to cut some out!thanks for the reply

Franknunes

Cadet
I haven't tried the braid before,what you wrote I heard from others and thinking of trying it but still holding out! I just drive 130 miles roundup trip to a tackle shop and explained my problem to them!They told me no need to take off spool and just caught wire if to short,then by a spool and respool and they showed me how,so to make a long story short is if wire tangles and you got to cut hope you still got enough wire to run again or you got to put new wire on!thanks for your time and input Sam,I appreciate it and thank you

sam am I

Commander
Sure, no problem, glad ya got it worked out. I've had to cut chunks/lengths out here and there and over time of having to do this, it just got too short so I would strip off what was left and re-spool another new 200 yds on. Then when its brand new, I'm over paranoid with it and try to keep it perfect as long as possible.......lol, only last so long though........GL

ernie6x6

Cadet
Go with the braid. I have been using it for 10 years. I use a salt and pepper braid but not sure of the brand. It wont hum like steel and you just tie the swivel of choice and go. Never had any issues using it!