One Lure - Rest of your Life

Bassn7

Seaman
Pick the one lure you have to use forever. Color, size and why.

Me: Black Neon Hula Grub on a 1/2 oz football jig head, no weed guard. I can pitch it, drag it, swim it and burn it like a top water. I fish it at night and day. More bass, northerns and walleye than any other lure for me.

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
4" Rapala Husky Jerk... Yellow Perch. I caught EVERYTHING on it last year, ALL year! I did fish with other stuff of course....but this is what seemed to produce the best.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
4" Rapala Husky Jerk... Yellow Perch. I caught EVERYTHING on it last year, ALL year! I did fish with other stuff of course....but this is what seemed to produce the best.
I love those but for just one i,d go half tha size.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Old faithful... 1/8 oz rainbow trout colored Rooster Tail. I've even caught carp and catfish to my surprise. (Not that I wanted to)

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joe....half that size? I caught bluegills on the 4" one the same length as the lure! Ya gotta have something for the BIG boys too! The 3 1/8" length was a killer also.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, this is a little tough to say. And that is because the different species are so different in sizes, I can't state just one best lure. What is the best for large mouth bass isn't the same for Crappie or other fish. So I can't state just one best lure. I easily could state the best lure per species, but that isn't the question. :noidea: JMHO!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
For me it would be a white, 3" curly tailed grub. Can be used with a jig head or by itself. I've caught largemouth and smallmouth bass, bluegill, crappie, catfish, stripers, white bass, trout, walleye and other freshwater fish with that lure.

And I've also caught a variety of saltwater fish on it as well, including snook, sheepshead, grouper and snapper. A good all around bait!

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
BWR.....You know.... I've never caught a damned thing on those. Absolutely nothing! I won 't even use them anymore . On the other hand...my wifes tackle box is full of them in every imagineable color ! I just have no faith in them. I really don't care for ANY of those plastic/rubber baits. I'd hate to have to rely on one as my ONLY lure!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
BWR.....You know.... I've never caught a damned thing on those. Absolutely nothing! I won 't even use them anymore . On the other hand...my wifes tackle box is full of them in every imagineable color ! I just have no faith in them. I really don't care for ANY of those plastic/rubber baits. I'd hate to have to rely on one as my ONLY lure!
Interesting. I've probably caught more fish on that lure than any other. Maybe believing in the lure is key? I know that I've not had much luck with spinnerbaits but Jimmy Houston lives by them! :lol:

I've also used different color grubs under certain circumstances but always fall back to white when times get tough. I started using them some 30 years ago after watching The Fishin' Hole with Jerry McKinnis. He showed a paddle tail grub but I ended up liking the curly tail better.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Since "artificial" wasn't specified, I'll take a 10" sucker minnow. Looking for the 50"........

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
A sucker minnow?....nah.... You 'll never get a 50 on live bait! Ya gotta wear yourself out throwing the latest 40.00 designer lures!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Is that a small Gar...or a REALLY big grub?
Yep, that's a small alligator gar. About 4 feet long and 10 pounds or so. I think that particular grub was a 4" version. The camera gave some forced perspective which made the grub look a lot larger.

Here's video of the catch.

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lucky it was hooked where it was! ....and I thought unhooking a musky was dangerous!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
A sucker minnow?....nah.... You 'll never get a 50 on live bait! Ya gotta wear yourself out throwing the latest 40.00 designer lures!

Don't worry been there and still doing it. You haven't been fishing unless your shoulders feel like they're going to fall off. Lately I've been getting into trolling for the big guys. Lazy mans way, but seems to work, which is fine by me... :)