One Lure - Rest of your Life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Lure - Rest of your Life

Pick the one lure you have to use forever. Color, size and why.

Me: Black Neon Hula Grub on a 1/2 oz football jig head, no weed guard. I can pitch it, drag it, swim it and burn it like a top water. I fish it at night and day. More bass, northerns and walleye than any other lure for me.

4" Rapala Husky Jerk... Yellow Perch. I caught EVERYTHING on it last year, ALL year! I did fish with other stuff of course....but this is what seemed to produce the best.

Comment

Originally posted by S.A. Baker View Post
      4" Rapala Husky Jerk... Yellow Perch. I caught EVERYTHING on it last year, ALL year! I did fish with other stuff of course....but this is what seemed to produce the best.
      I love those but for just one i,d go half tha size.
      1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

Comment

Old faithful... 1/8 oz rainbow trout colored Rooster Tail. I've even caught carp and catfish to my surprise. (Not that I wanted to)

Comment

Joe....half that size? I caught bluegills on the 4" one the same length as the lure! Ya gotta have something for the BIG boys too! The 3 1/8" length was a killer also.
          Last edited by S.A. Baker; January 9th, 2016, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Yeah but ive also got a 6 lbs on the small one..

I like the small when i stream fish
            1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

Comment

Okay, this is a little tough to say. And that is because the different species are so different in sizes, I can't state just one best lure. What is the best for large mouth bass isn't the same for Crappie or other fish. So I can't state just one best lure. I easily could state the best lure per species, but that isn't the question. JMHO!
              Tom Boy Boat Project http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...s-what-trailer
              Rebuilt trailer project http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...r-back-to-life
              '76 40 HP Johnson rebuild http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...mplete-rebuild
              Minn Kota 599 Project http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ta-599-project

Comment

1/2 ounce white rooster tail.
                my go to when the going gets tough

Comment

2oz. Sting silver or a 6" albino BKD on a 3/4 to 1 oz. jig head

Comment

For me it would be a white, 3" curly tailed grub. Can be used with a jig head or by itself. I've caught largemouth and smallmouth bass, bluegill, crappie, catfish, stripers, white bass, trout, walleye and other freshwater fish with that lure.

And I've also caught a variety of saltwater fish on it as well, including snook, sheepshead, grouper and snapper. A good all around bait!
                    1976 Starcraft Kingfisher Frugal Functional Fix-up
                    1976 Starcraft Chieftain 18' OB - restomod
                    Garage Project
                    -----------------------------------------------------
                    There is a fine line between stoic... and stupid.

Comment

BWR.....You know.... I've never caught a damned thing on those. Absolutely nothing! I won 't even use them anymore . On the other hand...my wifes tackle box is full of them in every imagineable color ! I just have no faith in them. I really don't care for ANY of those plastic/rubber baits. I'd hate to have to rely on one as my ONLY lure!

Comment

Originally posted by S.A. Baker View Post
                        BWR.....You know.... I've never caught a damned thing on those. Absolutely nothing! I won 't even use them anymore . On the other hand...my wifes tackle box is full of them in every imagineable color ! I just have no faith in them. I really don't care for ANY of those plastic/rubber baits. I'd hate to have to rely on one as my ONLY lure!
                        Interesting. I've probably caught more fish on that lure than any other. Maybe believing in the lure is key? I know that I've not had much luck with spinnerbaits but Jimmy Houston lives by them!

I've also used different color grubs under certain circumstances but always fall back to white when times get tough. I started using them some 30 years ago after watching The Fishin' Hole with Jerry McKinnis. He showed a paddle tail grub but I ended up liking the curly tail better.

Garage Project

Comment

Since "artificial" wasn't specified, I'll take a 10" sucker minnow. Looking for the 50"........

Comment

A sucker minnow?....nah.... You 'll never get a 50 on live bait! Ya gotta wear yourself out throwing the latest 40.00 designer lures!

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot to include this species caught with a white grub!

Click image for larger version

Name:	splash7.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	228022
                              Garage Project

Comment

Working...
                              X