Need tips for catching lake trout and salmon on inland lakes

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I fish several smaller lakes in "upstate" New York that apparently hold lake trout, other trout, and salmon. I've fished for bass for over 40 years from the Mississippi River east with really good success. But what I can't seem to figure out is how to catch lake trout, other trout, and salmon on these smaller inland lakes. I have trolled with dipsy divers in my 14ft and 19ft boats, I've trolled with downriggers in my 19ft boat, I've trolled spoons of different sizes and colors, I've trolled plugs of all sorts, I've thrown everything at these fish that I am seeing on my fish finder and I can't get one to take an interest in my bait. I've trolled from 1 mph up to 3 mph. I just started fishing for these types of fish this year and I have had no success at all. I am seeing great fish arches near the bottom in 60+ feet of water, and I am using good quality Humminbird and Lowrance fish finders.

Can someone please give me some pointers, some tips, some secrets... anything useful please? Thanks in advance!

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I am just across the border in Quebec and I have been told this has been one of the better years for lakers and land locked Atlantic salmon.I dont target them but I caught some early in the season with spinners and a worm while fishing for walleye. Someone told me that lakers are caught at a slower speed, around 1 1/2 mph and salmon and trout at 2 1/2 to 3 mph. Here we have guys that charter for the fish your trying to catch and maybe you could learn from someone like that. When I lived close to lake Ontario I tried to catch trout and salmon. I had little luck until I went out on a couple of charters and I watched and learned quite alot. I think water temp is very important. As I said early in the season I was catching them shallow. I saw people catching trout and salmon from the shore. But probably as the surface temp rises they drop off to colder water. That was probably not much help. Good luck.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Have you tried TNT or Dynamite? I know, I know, you aren't suppose to use such things. But when you light the fuse and the game warden drives up, hand him the Dynamite and ask him if he is fishing or talking. I bet he throws it in the water too... :pound:

Really, I have only fished for spring trout one time and of course I was only about 10 years old at that time as well. But I would love to be in a place to try and catch them. Since I live in middle Georgia, I guess those species are out for me. But don't give up. Like hardwater stated, maybe go on a charter outing and see what they are doing and then mimic that. Also, search online and read up on different methods others are using and try them out as well. I know I do that for different fish and once I get the hang of it, I work my ideas in as well. It is a start...

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. Canada seems to have this sort of fishing down to a science a little more than the US side of the border. It seems we have fewer lakes here that support lake trout, so I have been doing a bunch of research from fishermen from both Canada and the US. I'll keep plugging away at it and I know I will figure it out soon enough. Either way, fish or no fish, I love being out on the water. As for the explosives idea... have you seen the gun laws in New York state? :ballchain:

64osby

Admiral
Went out first time with a guy on Lake Michigan this year. Caught a couple small Lakers. Salmon were not biting.

Trolling speed was 3.2, / 3.3 mph from what I recall.

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks 64osby! I went out on Lake Ontario in August on a charter and we couldn't find salmon either. So we went after lake trout and caught 9 of them while trolling real slow, like 1.3mph to 2.3mph if memory serves me correctly. That seems to be the standard speed for Lake Ontario lakers (eastern shore), about 1mph slower than for salmon. We caught a 16" brown trout last sunday fishing from my 19ft Sea Nymph, trolling #0 dipsy divers 30 ft deep at 1.6mph.

What fish do you normally target in your own boats? We have some good fishing lakes around here that have a 10hp motor limit, and some of those lakes hold lake trout and landlocked salmon, brown and rainbow trout too. That's when I use my 13ft boat with dipsy divers.

64osby

Admiral
I have a local lake very small but very deep that holds Rainbows. The only people I have ever heard of that have caught any fished at night over the hole with lanterns using corn. I have tried other things, red worms, crawlers and wax worms with no luck.

I will not fish with corn.

I'm not much of a boat fishing guy, couple times a year. I like stream fishing for Browns, Rainbows and Brook trout.

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't fish with corn either. The streams around me are really hit and miss. And when the fishing is good, the streams get really crowded with fishermen. I tend to fish the lakes because they are less crowded and I can fish for bass, walleye, trout, and salmon all on the same lake. I don't fish at night because of my work schedule, but I always have better luck in the mornings anyway.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I fish for rainbows almost exclusively. A 4/0 dodger with a crawler behind it at 1.2 almost always works when the bite is on.You gotta be at the right depth.When my go to doesn't work I use needlefish lures at 1.5-2.5.I don't put anything in the water without Pro-Cure trophy trout scent.Sometimes you just have to mix it up like you are doing.Hope this helps.

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the tip. I've never used needlefish lures or that trout scent, so I will look into them.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
A couple of things I do here in BC on our lakes and rivers this time of year.
They are spawning so use something roe like small bright red balls on a lure such as a wedding ring with a worm or cheese and yup corn.
If your deep trolling red flasher on a willow leaf, lots of flash.
And remember the lakes are about to turn as the bottom water is warmer than the top water in a lake, and this brings the fish up closer to the surface.