My small water fishing rig

bennylt

Seaman
Check it out. I converted my 14' Old Town into a solo fishing rig.

Outriggers - tested and fully capable of standing and moving around the boat when deployed. I am even able to paddle standing up.
they also retract (actually swing upward off of the water) so I don't have the drag when paddling.

Raised seat. I'm not a big guy, and even I HATE the low seat in a canoe. even more i hated sitting basically butt on the water in my kayak. i like to be able to see down into the water to fish. not to mention having a nice back rest is pretty sweet at times when sitting to retie etc. and it's great for paddling, you get a more vertical paddle angle for better tracking.

Added an anchor trolley. Yes I know a lot of people think they are dangerous in a canoe. but i really use it 99% of the time so I can have a single anchor and run it all the way to the bow or the stern. I very rarely sit side anchored. and if i do. I also have outriggers, so I'm not too worried about it.

Fishing buddy sonar. This thing is super convenient... picked it up at a yard sale for $40. well spent. the only problem is because it's a tube that sticks into the water on one side of the canoe. I have to take it out while paddling or it makes it really hard to track straight. I do leave it in when moving around very slowly so i can locate pieces of structure. usually i have the outriggers out and I'm standing lightly paddling while i watch the sonar for the structure.

I am a convert. I actually sold my kayak because I'm really all set with just this canoe now. I can stand in it, like you can in SOME kayaks. but no kayak offers the space I have in this boat. By the way, this model of canoe has no thwarts, so it is completely open!!

with the outriggers up this boat is also FAST. it paddles really well, and when solo and balanced (cooler in the front for trim) it sits high and level so it really skims through the water.

Next thing is to make a mounting plate (side saddle) for my hand steer trolling motor. it's a 55# thrust which is crazy overkill for a canoe, but it's what I have, and balance won't be an issue. maybe i could pull a skier with that motor on this little boat!!