1988 Yamaha 15sg shift rod

hipp

Recruit
Hi all, I have an 88 Yamaha 15 sg and i wanted to change the impeller. Once I got everything apart and replaced I attempted to put the lower unit back into place. Somehow I managed to pull the shift rod out of the gears and I am not sure it goes back together. I appreciate any advice you can give me...Thank you..

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I am fairly sure the lower unit will have to come apart to get that back into it properly

hipp

Recruit
I was afraid of that...Even if i take it apart i still would not know how it goes together. I think i need to take it to the shop..Thanks for your response.

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe just take the lower unit to a Yamaha shop and let him pressure test the unit, replace any seals that are warn, and while they're at it they can fix your shift shaft....this might make sense on a 26 year old motor....then you'll be good to go!

hipp

Recruit
I think i will have it checked out professionally, get it running and sell it..Its time to upgrade for a jet.. I just have to convince my wife, that it is a small price to pay for something i have to have...lol. Thanks for your responses..