Worse than originally thought.....Repair or Replace

172090hp

Cadet
I found out why the head bolt broke. Can this type of thing be repaired or does the entire block need to be replaced? 2004 90hp yamaha.

All other bolts came out without issues and there is no corrosion except for this 1 spot within the red square

Attachments

• photo226335.png
    photo226335.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay this is my second time reading and seeing this. I have to honestly say that without being there and seeing how much real damage is there, It is hard to really suggest anything that I would feel safe to use and go. You could use some good JB Weld products after your successfully removed the broken bolt. But I don't know what else is broken or cracked. Obviously if you do have plans to use it again, that bolt has to be removed. And it looks like it goes into the water jacket. But I can't tell if the water jacket has any more cracks into the cylinder or not. That would be my main concern... IDK :noidea: :sorry:

robert graham

Admiral
Your motor looks like it has a lot of corrosion in it....so it may not be long before it becomes terminal. That said, if it was mine I'd consider removal of that broken bolt and try to build up the area with a weld or JB Weld and button it back up and try to milk another year or so out of the motor...who knows , it could run another 5 years....I guess a lot might depend on how far from port/off-shore you need to go. My C90 is a 1999 model and hopefully the corrosion on the inside is not bad, but I've not had reason to remove the head....so who knows?...

172090hp

Cadet
No Title

photo226642.png Thank you all for the replies.I took the boat to the mechanic today. The news was not good.
Mechanic says there is really nothing I can do and need a new head?? He cant put a helicoil in because of the corrosion in the socket ( I understand that part)

My question is isn't there some kind of repair of fabrication that can be done to the head. For example cut out the old socket, build up the aluminum, then re cut threads?

Something like this--- - http://www.allmetalweldingservices.c...ngRepairs.html

Is this tig welding repair?photo226642.png

Attachments

• photo226639.png
    photo226639.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • attach10000806.png
    attach10000806.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

172090hp

Cadet
No Title

photo226643.png attach10000812.png example would be ....if this piece cracked or broke off could it be repaired?

Attachments

• photo226641.png
    photo226641.png
    485.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
I'm thinking a good local welder who is experienced working with aluminum should take a look at your motor and get his opinion on possible repairs and prices....but whatever you have done it's going to be a patch job and hopefully buy you a few more years of use before it re-occurs.....this is just my opinion on this...

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Corroded motor parts are not like new aluminum, special welding is needed and most of the time it just keeps blowing holes from the off gas that is created during welding.
Find the best welder in the area and if he still says no then you have your answer

Capt Ken

Commander
Eleven year old engine with this much corrosion? You have some serious electrolysis problems. Cut your loses now and find another engine. Is this engine being left in the water for extended periods of time?

Propwash79

Cadet
The picture you showing looks like your pointing to where the cylinder meets the sleeve. If the cylinder cracks and the sleeve can be removed it can be fixed. I would stay away from jb weld as it's good for a temporary fix.nweight the option on the money spent into rebuilding the motor verse getting a replacement motor. Any good machine shop should be able to fill the hole in and build that area up the grid it flat and tap it,only issue is the metal is brittle from saltwater use and the heat cycles on the motor. If you feel it's worth it to fix it then let it rip,if not save you money and sell the motor for parts and get a replacement motor. Remember anything can be fixed (but stupid) and it depends on how fat you check book is and your credit card limit.