2004 Yamaha 225 OX66 dies when in rough water and quarter tank of fuel or less

bwiilis228

Recruit
I have a 2004 Yamaha 225 ox66 with 126 gallon fuel tank. The motor seems to run fine with slick water and plenty of fuel. But it seems like once I get in rough water and the fuel is at a quarter tank or lower (30 gallons or less) that the motor dies. About a month ago we went to the oil rigs to fish. Went 40 miles had low oil. Filled oil went another 40 no problem. When we had about 30 left to go, we would run about 7 and it would die. It would Start right back up and run fine for another 7 -10 miles and die. It did that all the way back. Before trip I changed on board and racor filter, low pressure fuel pumps, spark plugs, cleaned o2 sensor. Not sure what would be causing this. Seemed like one the fuel started getting low and it started to get choppy or would ruin die, but always start right back up. This has happened several times over the last couple years. I am not sure what to do now. Any Suggestions Would greatly be appreciated.

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I would be checking pick up tube to make sure it reaches the bottom and no holes in it where it would suck air

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Had a similar situation with my 1997 200 Evinrude.

Assumed I has a vacuum leak somewhere. Changed out fuel lines from tank to prime bulb and removed anti-siphon valve. Not sure which one fixed it, but have not had a problem in 6 years

bwiilis228

Recruit
Sounds like good ideas. I have been moving and just got a new house so haven't been on the boat for a while. I was thinking about changing the fuel line from tank to Racor filter and then from there to the motor. I will try that first and see if that helps. If not I will try the pick up tube. Anyone have information about removal and installation of the sending unit?