Need more RPM

Bbussler

Recruit
QUESTION ABOUT GETTING MORE RPM

Last try

I started out at 4800 RPM and I'm now only at 5000 RPM

This is what I have tried

1. Went from 13P to a 9P.
2. Lifted the motor from the top hole to the bottom hole.

Still not making a huge difference at all!!! My 2002 Yamaha 80HP four stroke should be running at 6000RPM at wide open throttle.

Please help me get more RPM so the motor runs healthier.

Any suggestions will be deeply looked into. Thanks!!!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
How many tons does this barge weigh you are trying to push with this motor?

If on a regular boat, it sounds like you have motor problems

Bbussler

Recruit
It's a 2002 24 foot Harris Flotebote. Weather or not I have two people or ten people on the boat the RPMs never change :-/. Not exactly sure how much it weighs. I don't care too much about the speed. It's already going 22MPH. I'm just trying to get to a better RPM range so it doesn't lug the motor.

Bbussler

Recruit
Bought it last year. Never knew to look at the RPMs and stuff like that. Till I hit a sand bar and started reading stuff about a new prop and stuff. Put the new prop on and started paying attention to it. The old prop was a 13 so I bought a 13. Then went down to a 9 and still wasn't enough. So I raised the motor

robert graham

Admiral
You might have a cylinder that's not firing properly due to poor spark, plugged fuel injector screen, etc....has the motor ever been checked/tuned by a Yamaha technician?....A 4 cylinder 4 stroke outboard will run on 3 cylinders but not produce maximum power/RPM's

Bbussler

Recruit
It hasn't since I bought it last year. But the guy I got it from said and has receipts he gave me from all the times he's got it tuned up and checked on. He has always been on top of things. Are plugs easy to change myself. Or should I have my Marina do them?

robert graham

Admiral
Plugs are easy to change....inspect each one carefully for possible fouling and the overall running condition of the motor.....plugs can tell you a lot...