Salt Away?

rwolfson

Recruit
First time poster. How important is it to use a product like Salt Away on my 2008 Yamaha 115hp engine? Should the salt water be flushed away after every use? I use the boat on San Francisco Bay. thanks !! Rwolfson

robert graham

Admiral
Of course it would be best to flush and rinse the motor after each saltwater use....but lots of folks don't or can't and they get many years of reliable service from their outboards....the anti-corrosion primers, paints and coating on outboards are really very good. Areas of outboards that can give corrosion problems are the cooling passages and the threads of nuts, bolts and fasteners. If you pull the boat out of the water after every use then I'd say flush and rinse, but if your boat stays in the water then it's not so easy....unless you have a later model motor with a built in flush port...

rwolfson

Recruit
Thanks, Vice Admiral Robert! Do I get an email when a question I've posted gets answered? Or do I just have to monitor my thread? (I do keep my boat in salt water by the way).

robert graham

Admiral
No Email, just keep checking for thoughts/answers. If you have a flush port on your motor and a freshwater hose available at your mooring, then a daily or weekly flushing and rinse of motor can only help....

robert graham

Admiral
There will generally be several/many different ideas/opinions on these forums....just have to weigh the pros and cons and decide for yourself....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I use a similar product with my Volvo Penta drive. In my boat it injects the fluid into the cooling water. It greatly increases the life of my manifolds. I know outboards are completely different but it is amazing how much less my manifolds corrode.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
A place in Mexico that I dive at runs their outboards until they corrode through. If they used this, they would get more life out of them.

robert graham

Admiral
Probably, but I've never seen much preventive maintenance going on in Mexico/Cancun/Cozumel.....cars, boats, motors.....