Yamaha 15 very stiff rotating flywheel

infinitysail

Recruit
I have a Yamaha 15 enduro that I run in saltwater. I stored it for a few months on its handle side, and when I returned, I was unable to pull the cord. I put a wrench on the flywheel and once I got it to rotate a couple turns, I was able to pull start it. It made a horrible squealing noise from somewhere near the flywheel, but this subsided after 20 seconds or so. The motor then ran great for the next 6 months, as I was running it every day. I then let it sit for a couple weeks, and found it difficult to pull again. Again, once started and the squealing stops, it works great if I keep running it every day.

I thought it might be the flywheel rusting to the magnets, but this isn't the case. I tried rotating it with the plugs out when it is stiff, and it doesn't help. Most recently, I fogged it, but it still became stiff after sitting.

Any likely candidates for this resistance? Perhaps the oil seal at the top?

Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
drop the lower unit off to see if that makes a difference.
If not, then you know it is in the power head.
Bearings or Cylinder walls/rings rusting would be my next guess

Last edited:

infinitysail

Recruit
My friend had encounteredmthe exact problem before and he was right. It was the oil seal housing on the bottom of the power head. My theory is that when I stored the engine on its side, there was some water in the drive shaft housing that corroded the housing. Lucky that I could get it off. Now to clean up the mess.