2004 Yamaha 175 VMAX HPDI Bogging problem

blackcamp

Recruit
When cold, my 2004 Yamaha VMAX HPDI outboard starts and runs fine until you put it up on plane and then it bogs after a minute. If you don't cut it back to an idle right away it quits running. From that point on, it will start ok, and run at an idle, but run roughly when at the lowest idle in gear. It will balk (or bog) as soon as you try to give it gas. It's been to a Yamaha dealer 3 times and they are baffled, They've checked it out on the shop computer where it seems fine, but the problem returns, when I try to use it on the lake. Everything checks out, and I just had a new ECU installed, but it doesn't make any difference. Any ideas?

blackcamp

Recruit
You're right, it was a fuel pressure problem. The dealer was talking about trying a new fuel or injector pump. I decided to change the 2 fuel filters ( water/ fuel and the fuel filter on the engine) before taking it into the shop again. Changing the water/fuel filter didn't improve things, but the problem went away when I changed the filter on the engine. I guess that it was dirty/clogged..It's hard to believe that a 5 star Yamaha shop wouldn't think to start with something basic like a filter rather than nailing me with a $1700 ECU.
Thanks for your suggestion.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
testing is the best way to go. low pressure will show a restriction so you can find it