2008 suzuki 9.9 four stroke wont start

artcat

Seaman Apprentice
Trying to help a buddy out with his motor,08 4 stroke 9.9 hp carb. Motor will start sometimes and run crappy,,so I cleaned carb,did not really find any thing. so I pulled off what is called the starter assembly,looks like a solenoid mounted on top of carb. i energized it with 12 volts and it did nothing so i assumed it was bad. But I talked to a suzuki dealer and he informed me that it takes a couple of minutes for this solenoid to heat up and push plunger out,,apparently some sort of enrichener. The weird part is,,if i pull this solenoid out and hold my finger over the hole it starts and idles great. I talked to the dealer and he thought that I still have a obstruction in carb,so I tore it apart again and cleaned and blew it out but no luck. Is there something that I am missing,and what is the purpose of this solenoid. Motor has new plugs,compression is good..It almost has me wondering if this could be a valve issue,,but the weird part is how it runs when I put my finger over the hole where the solenoid goes. Any advice much appreciated.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Yep he was right,
If you do what you are doing it is like closing a choke, enriching the fuel into the motor.
Need to do a better job on the carb cleaning

and it is not a solenoid

Last edited:

artcat

Seaman Apprentice
I really dont know what else to do in carb,it is as clean as a popcorn fart. yes I realize it isnot a solenoid,just easier to call it that than starter assembly. Should those assemblies be adjusted to a specific depth,can adjust with cap that threads on. I assume the starter assembly leans out the fuel once it runs for a couple minutes.

artcat

Seaman Apprentice
Ok,I got a little time to tear the carb apart again and checked,cleaned and blew out every port and it is clean...Put the carb back on and had my dad run the key. I plugged the intake totally with a rag and the dang thing started and purred.Did this many times and it ran good each time. When we were done I had to leave a hole the size of my thumb to get motor to run. Pulled the valve cover and all valves had clearance,motor had 155 psi, the only thing that I could figure would be the upper crank seal,,would this let the motor run with the intake totally closed off. Any ideas much appreciated.