Yamaha 2004 F225 Rough Idle Only in Forward Gear

DaveF114

Recruit
My Yamaha F225 (2004) idles fine in Neutral but runs rough when I put in Forward at idle speed. Even a little throttle makes it run perfectly again. ONLY rough in F gear and at idle speed. There was one other post in 2010 with the same issue, but not answered. Does anyone have any suggestions now?

robert graham

Admiral
Is your motor idling at the correct RPM's?...normally RPM's would drop some when motor is put in gear....mine looses about 100 RPM's when I shift to forward or reverse...And under certain conditions could cause the motor to stall...

DaveF114

Recruit
Is your motor idling at the correct RPM's?...normally RPM's would drop some when motor is put in gear....mine looses about 100 RPM's when I shift to forward or reverse...And under certain conditions could cause the motor to stall...

It sounds normal but I don't have an accurate meter on it. I plan to take it out this weekend and will try to measure it. Thank you.

DaveF114

Recruit
I took the boat to a Yamaha Service Center. Turns out the small fuel filters located at the inlet to the fuel injectors were plugged. They were replaced and it runs great again. Hope this helps someone else and you can DIY and avoid the $981 charge I paid...

Capt Ken

Commander
I know it seems extreme but not something you are going to do at home. Both fuel rails have to be removed being the injectors are behind them. About a half day labor plus parts plus the injector cleaning. So the price sounds about right.

DaveF114

Recruit
Thanks Ken. It sure is nice to have her running right again. I added a 10 micron filter to the boat now so hope to avoid this in the future.