86 Yamaha 150 timing question for Johnson/Evinrude experts

rickclark

Seaman Apprentice
rickclark
Cadet
cadet.gif

I am finishing the final steps of tune up with a static timing check until I can find my timing light or get another. Retard and pick up timing need no adjustment. However, when attempting to adjust full advance timing, I am a long way from being able to align the mark on the flywheel to the mark on the magneto plate. I need 15 - 20 mm more on screw length to make the adjustment. Does this mean something I have another issue? Can I replace the adjustment screw with a longer one in order to make the necessary adjustment? What's the danger of running this motor without the full advance timing set correctly? I never run at WOT.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You should post this in the Yamaha section of this forum.

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi there Rick, since you're asking a Yamaha type question, I went ahead and moved your topic to the Yamaha sub-forum in hopes that one of the Yamaha savay guys will be able to help guide you in the right direction...Hope this helps, good luck to you.:)

rickclark

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you. I posted here hoping to get a response from Joe Reeves, whose posts I have researched here previously. It seems that i read that seeking assistance via PM is unacceptable.