1996 Suzuki DT115 EFI Fuel Pump / ECU problem

Seacraft20

Recruit
Does anyone know how to test an ecu for the fuel pump output? I know that it works from switching the ground on and off. Here is my dilemma. Electric pump wasn't working. I checked voltage with meter and had 12.6 volts. Figured pump was bad and bought another. Same issue with the new pump. Nothing would happen. but if I checked the plug I had voltage. What I found out was the second there was a load put on that circuit it went to 0 volts. It shut right down. There arent any relays or fuses inline. The circuit goes directly to the ecu. I checked the ground for the ecu, even hooked the ground direct to the battery. Still nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated. The lowest price I can find on a new ECU is 1650.00.

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I purchased my 1996 DT115 EFI back in 2007 the previous owner must have had issues with the switched ECU 12VDC ECU high pressure fuel pump output so he found a constant 12VDC wire under the hood and spliced into it to provide power for the HPFP. It worked but not ideal as the pump ran 100% of the time and relied on the fuel pressure regulator to recycle the unneeded fuel. Eventually I was able to buy a couple of parts motors and used the ECU off of one to fix the issue. Look hard. You will eventually find a used ECU for $800 - $1000 somewhere. I don't have my shop manual in front of me ( I strongly suggest you buy one) to suggest troubleshooting steps but I'll bet the ECU is your issue.

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class
Troubleshooting reveled the pulser coil peak voltage was lower than the service manual allowed. I changed the pulser coil with a spare I had, received 9VDC peak output, and verified the engine was charging the battery.