Water pump tube???

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 96 suzuki dt40. Im replacing the water pump. And theres a tube thing above the water pump housing that is in bad shape. Is it really necessary to have or replace it. I looked up the part on brownspoint.com and it says the part is obsolete? Whats the deal with this?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
ratking20, when you say the tube is in bad shape, exactly what is wrong with the tube? Can you post pictures of it? Those tubes must be made out of gold the prices they ask. But unless there is something seriously wrong with yours, it probably can still be used... Post a picture or two for us to see what you're dealing with...

mystic052882

Recruit
That tube is the water pick up tube. If it is damaged and does not seal properly your engine will not get the water it needs to cool properly. If the part # is obsolete there should be a new part number for it.

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

here ya go.....

Attachments

• photo221864.jpg
    photo221864.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221865.jpg
    photo221865.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221866.jpg
    photo221866.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221867.jpg
    photo221867.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0

mfkadz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not that I am an expert but.... That does not look stock to me. I looks like someone stuffed a smaller tube inside the other one.

mike

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
not sure, but the pic is of the water tube slid over the drive shaft. thats where it was when i took the lower unit off. not really connected or anything. my mechanic friend(didnt come look at it) said he believes its just a guide and not that important. but im not sure. im still gonna look into it. hopefully someone on here can guide me. also the part online says theres 2 types of water tubes. type S and type L. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS......other then a few bucks.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
my guess would be S for short shaft and L for long

And that it may be there to keep water from shaft seal area , I do not know for sure
but if not available to buy ,you will have to have one made

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That makes sense. Short and long. They are available. Different sites say no longer available. But some sites have them. Im guessing 20" shaft would be long??? Not short?

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
That makes sense. Short and long. They are available. Different sites say no longer available. But some sites have them. Im guessing 20" shaft would be long??? Not short?

Forget "sites" - just go over to your local Suzuki dealer and ask them to order one for you.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I guess I'm a little confused now. I thought your original question was about a water tube from the water pump housing. The pictures you provided don't even show any water tube. The section you are talking about is actually the drive shaft from the crank shaft. The water tube would fit into the side opening and goes up to the engine housing for water to flow through the engine. So it seem you never even had a water tube to the engine if that is how it came apart. The drive shaft doesn't flow water to the engine unless I don't understand your engine... Part numbers for that true water tube(s) is/are: 17961-94412 (S) short tube, and 17961- 94442 (L) long tube. And both water tubes are available for under $20 dollars still...but you also need the associated fittings as well. At this stage, I would most certainly buy all the new water tube parts and seals as well as maybe even a totally new water pump assembly including the housing and impellor with seals too. Because somebody didn't know what they were doing if that is how it came apart... JMHO!

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
im sorry, one site had it listed as water tube. brownspoint.com has it listed as water pump seal tube. with a top and bottom grommet. that is the part i was talking about. as im not sure what it does?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
ratking20, the actual water tube is a part that fits in the opening aside from the drive shaft going into the water pump housing where the impellor is on. The water tube supplies fresh water to the engine and it circulates through the engine and out the exhaust and pee tube if your engine has one. And it does take grommets at both ends as well to seal the water to the engine. Those parts are very available and you need to determine what size you need and order all those parts and fix it properly... I posted the breakdown of your DT40C engine and it shows the parts... JMHO

DT40C.jpg

mphelle8vld

Petty Officer 1st Class
The damaged tube in his photos is item 1 in your diagram, it's meant to protect the rubber water pump impeller from exhaust gas and gritty 2 stroke snot. Your tube looks corroded/broken off at the top, make sure to remove the broken collar and upper seal from up in the midsection before reinstalling the new tube. If you have a 20in shaft, order the L tube.