Yamaha lower unit disassembly

Sand555

Cadet
I recently purchased a 2001 Yamaha F50 (F50TLRZ) knowing I would need to put work into the lower unit (busted bearing carrier and bent prop shaft). I have removed the lower unit, water pump, driveshaft oil seal, prop, bearing carrier and shift rod. According to the manual the prop shaft should be free, however the bearing, thrust washer and reverse gear are still firmly in place. I headed the gear housing and tapped with a rubber mallet to help free it from the built up corrosion but the prop shaft will not break free. I feel I have followed the steps from my manual. Am I missing something?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
manual should say to us a puller of some kind
I have read a slide hammer screwed onto the prop shaft with an adapter(usually home made) pops it right out.

But what worries me about yours is the carrier is what the bearing is pressed onto not the shaft, so not sure why it did not come out with carrier.
The carrier is what normally keeps the shaft from coming out because of corrosion around it.
But slide hammer should work in my opinion, But I am not an Yamaha tech( disclaimer)

I found the last post on this thread interesting about pulling a stuck shaft, but have no idea if it will help you or not
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...amaha-suzuki-outboards/9930822-yamaha-200tlrp

Last edited:

Sand555

Cadet
99Yam40, thanks for your help! So with everything that I've taken out (shift rod, bearing carrier etc) there should be no problem (in regards to internal damage) with me giving the slide hammer a shot...is that correct? Just wanna make sure I'm understanding.

mystic052882

Recruit
I just took apart my 2006 Yamaha 90HP 4 stroke and used a slide hammer to remove the bearing carrier worked like a charm. The prop shaft on mine did not come out with the bearing carrier you need to remove the drive shaft and pinion gear first.

Sand555

Cadet
Mystic052882 thanks! I'll check my manual again but I'm pretty sure removing the driveshaft was a step after the prop shaft removal...but I think you're right. Did your bearing and thrust washer come out with your bearing carrier...if not how did you remove it?

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Prop shaft should slip right out. How did you get the bearing carrier out?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
99Yam40, thanks for your help! So with everything that I've taken out (shift rod, bearing carrier etc) there should be no problem (in regards to internal damage) with me giving the slide hammer a shot...is that correct? Just wanna make sure I'm understanding.

did you click on and read the link I posted

Sand555

Cadet
Lakensea I used a puller. It was really seized up in there. Had to use heat and a impact. 99Yam40, I did read it and have flipped that lower unit 7 ways from Sunday! I truly believe that the thrust washer in "welded" (by corrosion) to the gear housing. I've used every penetrating oil I can find, headed the ba-Jesus out it, and have tried a slide hammer...not sure what it will finally take. Still wanting any suggestions. That you all who have posted, much appreciated!

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
if the shaft does not come out, it is frozen to the forward gear. If you use force, you may destroy the forward and pinion gear. Remove the pinion gear and driveshaft first. Then use a slide hammer to remove stuck shaft....

Sand555

Cadet
Schematic, not real sure how to do that. I can't get to the pinion gear with the thrust washer stuck in the gear housing. If it was stuck in the forward gear could move the shift rod through it full range (F-N-R)?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
if the shaft does not come out, it is frozen to the forward gear. If you use force, you may destroy the forward and pinion gear. Remove the pinion gear and driveshaft first. Then use a slide hammer to remove stuck shaft....

maybe you need to explain how to get to the nut on the drive shaft holding the pinion gear on with the prop shaft in the way

Sand555

Cadet
Wrong lower unit. My lower unit is found under "Lower Casing Drive One T50tlra Yamaha Outboard Parts OEM" on iboats part list, in which the thrust washer is shown as part #57. Directly between Rear bearing #56 and reverse gear #54.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Did you get #56 bearing out with the carrier?

Did you make an adapter to screw your slid hammer to prop shaft?

Seems the gear and bearing would all have to come out with the shaft if still in there and may need a lot of force is bearing is grown in lower unit,
Did you have a lot of water or metal failure in this unit?

98 yamaha

Recruit
I replaced my forward gear on mine 10 or 12 years ago , the only problem I had was getting the shift linkage back like it was. What type of water was it in ?

Sand555

Cadet
There was water in the unit and I'm almost positive it was salt water. I did find a very small amount of fine metal on the drain plug but nothing extraordinary ( I know none is great). Everything has been seized up with corrosion. 99yam40, bearing #56 is still on the prop shaft. I did make a slide hammer (very homemade) but I've not really got on it good yet. I decided to completely soak it in acetone mixed with transmission fluid to hopefully penetrate better than store bought lubs. Has anyone ever tried a needle scaler to loosen corrosion or will that ruin the gear housing?

Sand555

Cadet
Hey "master chief" if you'll look the T50tlra lower unit was available on the F50tlr. WTF, I mean it's on the schematic.