which Racor WS for a 2002 Yamaha 90HP outboard?

Pale Rider

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, Just recently bought a 2002 Sea Hunt CC with a 90HP Yamaha 2 stroke. will the 320 racor water separator be the right set up for this engine?
Thanks...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Do yourself a favor. By an aftermarket filter head then buy the Racor filter to fit it. Racor makes filters to fit merc and OMC "OEM" style filter heads, part number 32013 or 32014, if I remember correctly

Pale Rider

Seaman Apprentice
Do yourself a favor. By an aftermarket filter head then buy the Racor filter to fit it. Racor makes filters to fit merc and OMC "OEM" style filter heads, part number 32013 or 32014, if I remember correctly

ok, is the 320 the one I want for the 90 HP?
I can`t seem to find anywhere on the net the GPH use of the 90. I`m sure the 320 60gph is way overkill, and slightly larger than the 120`s, I don`t want to starve or restrict fuel flow...
thanks

robert graham

Admiral
I've run the Walmart/Attwood fuel/water separator on my Yamaha C90 2 stroke for many years with no problems....costs about $25, easy to install and service....works like a charm to keep water, debris, fine particles out of carbs....Also a great idea to drain those carbs for lengthy motor lay-ups....brass hex head drain screw on bottom/side of each carb....never a carb problem!....

robert graham

Admiral
And your 90HP motor will burn about 9 gallons per hour at 5500RPM.....most efficient around 3500...Check out Yamaha Outboard Performance Bulletins for more info regarding fuel consumption/efficiency......

Pale Rider

Seaman Apprentice
thanks, I am looking for something with a bowl and drain. Bought the boat used and want to monitor what`s in the tank...
so even a racor 120 with a bowl will suffice...

Pale Rider

Seaman Apprentice
poly tank under the floor. according to the place where purchased, the tank is 32 gal.

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
I've found that with the fuel/water separator, the motor-mounted filter under the cowling, regular use of a fuel stabilizer like Stabil and Ringfree and draining of the carbs for motor lay-ups it pretty well eliminates fuel related problems.....it least that's been my experience for 15 years on my C90.....

Pale Rider

Seaman Apprentice
I've found that with the fuel/water separator, the motor-mounted filter under the cowling, regular use of a fuel stabilizer like Stabil and Ringfree and draining of the carbs for motor lay-ups it pretty well eliminates fuel related problems.....it least that's been my experience for 15 years on my C90.....

Thank you Robert. 15 years on your 90 is excellent! I`m hoping for 5-6 years from now for this 90. The sea trial was good. Coming from a faster boat, the sea hunt with the 90 did feel a bit lazy to plane, but it was a comfortable cruise speed @ 4000 rpm for the rest of the family.

a rep from another source stated that she thought the 120 was a bit small for the 90, I`m pretty sure it is a tad smaller than your attwood ws. She recommended the 320 with the larger capacity filter and bowl drain. Seems you def have proven the 10 micron is fine to use with the 90hp...

I did remove the deck cover over the under deck tank and wow! pretty nasty looking under the deck, but that`s for another time. More concerned with getting this new used boat purchase in the water and up to date.

thank you Robert.

Andy.

Pale Rider

Seaman Apprentice
well here is the dilemma, I`m not good with using short wood/sheet metal screw into the fiber glass on the adjacent side of the motor well. There is a gap between this wall and the storage locker on the opposite side of this hull location. The gap is tapered and is tighter at the topI can`t get use bolt/washer/nut with that scenario. So I`m thinking to bond a piece of stock that has 2 studs in it for mounting the water fuel separator. the stock would be bonded to the hull with epoxy, or 5200. after it`s cured I could hang the WS to the studs...
I don`t have enough height to hang it on the transom itself...

any other ideas? fire away...

the blue tape is about where it needs to be.

OR:

I could just drill through both walls, keep the outer the correct size, use a hole saw to get access for the nuts and washers.

just thinking out loud... P1050542.JPG
P1050543.JPG
P1050544.JPG

Last edited: