help reviving my old suzuki outboard!!!

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
im about to start a new project. reviving my old 1996 suzuki dt40 2 stroke outboard.
engine has been sitting in my yard for several years(around 5) it was NEVER under water while stored in my yard.
its is not seized. it was taken off my whaler for shifting problems (where the shift/throttle cables attach to the outboard)
however it has been several years sitting. so...............

what do i ABSOLUTELY have to replace?!?!?!? i am not trying to cut any corners just trying to find a place to start
i ordered a shop maunual, a water pump kit, and a carb kit so far. but what else should definitely replace since it has been sitting for soo long

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
anyone? what about the fuel pump? replace whole thing? buy the diaphragm kit? what about the filter and hoses?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would replace the water impeller, then start her up and see how she runs, I just pulled one of my motors that has been sitting for several years, put it in the water tank, 3 pulls and the rope and she fired right up, no problems at all.

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Soooo. I put some oil in the cylinders and let it sit for like 2 days. And now when i stood the engine up the oil seems to be leaking out the prop. How bad is that? Do i have to replace some seals now?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Did you turn the motor over by hand once you pull the oil in the cylinders? If so, some of the oil got into the exhaust system and when you stood it up, it simply drained down the system and came out the through the prop exhaust. I had it happen on my tohatsu when I first got it running this year, come to find out it was just unburnt fuel and oil draining through the exhaust.

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yes i spun the flywheel a few times figuring it would help spread out the oil. i think ill be fine as i been hearing that it is normal. now im on to the water pump. im having problems figuring out if i need this water tube thing above the water pump housing or not. it looks to be in bad shape