115HP Yamaha gear slip

SouthCarolina1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello I need some help and couldn't find it online so I am turning to y'all for help.

So I have a 1997 115HP Yamaha on 171 Mako with a SS prop. When I take sharp turns the motor will rev high and then pop out of gear, or slip out of gear into neutral. It happens every time, when I take a sharp turn the motor will rev high and then go into neutral (sometimes I can throttle down and straighten up preventing the motor from slipping out of gear). I can immediately put my shifter in neutral, then put it back into gear and throttle back up like nothing happened. When I take a sharp turn its not a reckless sharp turn, its not a huge issue because it does that I rarely turn hard.

I would like to turn my boat hard but I am worried that it is a problem that could haunt me later down the road. I recently had the water impeller replaced as well as gear oil and it still does it. Anybody have a solution?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Model # of motor is ?-----Measure height of the transom and post the dimension.------Sounds like the motor is mounted to high on your boat.---Possible a 20 inch motor on a 25 inch transom.----Without information it is hard to tell.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
lower unit should not be jumping out of gear with the controls still in gear.
are you sure it is coming out of gear or is the prop hub slipping?

Mark the prop and hub , run it til it happens again and then look to see if the marks have moved

Last edited:

SouthCarolina1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello thanks for all the quick responses. The model number is S11 5TL. I have attached several pictures to give y'all a better idea of the motors location.

IMG_5708.jpg
IMG_5710.jpg IMG_5706.jpg IMG_5705.jpg IMG_5711.jpg