frustrating yamaha

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took my 1986 etlj 50 hp yamaha 2 stroke out to the ocean yesterday and it was running like a champ. All of a sudden it started running like poo misfiring and a bunch of other funky things. Almost felt like it was not firing on all cylinders.except if i would run it wide open, but it was a real pain to get it up to speed. It would either idle or run super fast and it only ran good at speed. So brought it home changed plugs fired it up and seemed to run great. Today took it back out fired right up ran great get out of harbor and gave it some throttle and the whole mess started again plus I could not shut it off with the key no more, changed plugs in the water ran great then same thing within 2 minutes. Quite frustrating to say the least and now Im clueless as to what to try next and why will it not shut off with key anymore? any help would be great and thanks alot

paulywally

Seaman Apprentice
Sounds like condensation or water in your gas. You say nothing about trying a different fuel tank and that's the first thing I would have done. Have no idea what to say about your key. Does it shut off with the teather?

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks for the info never thought about bad gas, well I did but I put gas in from the same station that I bought the same day as the gas that was in it and Ill try the teather

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
checked kill switch and motor still wont shut off. kinda clueless now

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
either the wire from key and kill switche does not get back to CDI because of bad connection or you have carbon build up that gets glowing hot and keeps motor running without spark

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will be checking that today dont think I have carbon build up cause I could start for just a short time and it wont shut off. Again thank you