Help With 2005 TLRD

pbailey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I thought I would change out the water pump for my brothers motor. Never been replaced since new, has 350 hrs on it. Drained lower unit and the lube was thick and dark. I would say it was down about half capacity. I bought the full kit and the two drive shaft seals. Did have one of the bolts snap from corrosion......had to center drill it until I could use a pick to get it out, all good no damage to threads. I did take note of the grooves worn where the seals seat and attempted to seat the seals so they would ride a new spot. Finished it up and ran it for 10 minutes in gear. Water at tell tale. Checked lower unit for water and its getting in. All milky when drained. Took the lower unit back off and disassembled. There was very little thick white residue inside the pump in places, but I'm thinking now that was from the grease during assembly, maybe. Made a pressure tester from a pump with gauge. Pumped it up empty of lube slowly to 15psi and the prop shaft seal started leaking. Upon close inspection there was some fishing line snagged in the spring in one spot on the outer prop shaft seal. I could pump to 8 psi and it would hold for a bit. I couldn't hear any air at top side seals. I removed the outer prop shaft seal and found more line between the two seals and more at the inner prop shaft seal. So....obviously be changing those. My question is I'm not sure if water can get in the lower unit through those seals while running on muffs. I don't have a manual and its possible those seals were holding dispute the fishing line and I blew them with too much pressure. I'll get it figured out, but I sure would appreciate any thoughts/help before I go throwing parts at it. Does anyone one know the test pressure for a 2005 TLRD lower unit? Thanks

Capt Ken

Commander
Those seals should hold with 10-15 psi easy. But the check I use is 5 psi for 5 minutes. Oh yeah, water can only enter the lower via the water pump seals while on the hose